The Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) has vowed to resist any attempt by the Federal Government to cover up some oil marketers indicted in the various committee reports on the oil subsidy fraud.
Rising from its National Executive Council (NEC) last Friday in Lagos, the congress faulted the withdrawal of charges against some of the oil subsidy fraud suspects by the government saying only the courts had the exclusive power to make such decisions.
Addressing journalists shortly after the meeting, President-General of TUC, Comrade Peter Esele, charged the government to explain to Nigerians what prompted its decision given the fact those affected were indicted by the various committees' reports.
"Congress is worried about the withdrawal of the charges against some of the oil subsidy fraud suspects by the federal government and would want to know what has made this action very urgent now. We had felt that this would have been left for the courts to decide," Esele said.
Esele also argued that the persons presently standing trial over the fuel subsidy fraud "does not represent the quantity and quality of the persons indicted by the both by the Federal House of representatives and the Aig-Imokhuede Panel".
He claimed it was another plot by the government to prosecute these persons and use it as a cover to hoodwink Nigerians into believing that it was prosecuting perpetrators of the alleged scam.
He therefore called on the government to be transparent in the trial of all the fuel subsidy suspects so that all the funds allegedly looted from the national coffers would be recovered and returned to the national treasury.
"It should be noted that the amount of money involved in the subsidy fraud runs into trillions of naira but the amount allegedly stolen by those standing trial are presently about N304billion. We then ask what about those who have cornered the other trillions? When will they be brought to trial to face justice?
"If this is an attempt to try these persons and use it as a cover to hoodwink the people of this nation, we want to warn that we shall resist it and it must fail," Esele said.
On the implementation of the 2012 budget, Esele said the congress was fully in support of the House of Representatives' position on budget implementation, but added that threat of impeachment was another distraction from the pressing issues confronting the economy.
"Thus while supporting that federal government should pursue budget implementation tenaciously, the congress also added that impeachment proceedings will be a distraction from the myriad of pressing issues confronting both the nation and its teeming population that have presently left the masses in the morass of uncontrolled hunger and deprivation," the TUC president added.
Copyright © 2012 This Day. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
Headlines Newsview all
The World Bank has unveiled a $1bn (£660m) aid package to help the Democratic Republic of Congo and its neighbours, as fighting continues near the ... Full story
United States President Barack Obama will not be visiting Nigeria as recently speculated in the media. Obama and his wife Michelle will only visit Senegal, ...
NELSON Mandela’s daughters are suing him for the rights to his artworks and control of his millions, it has been reported. According to the Star on ... Full story
Controversial actress, Judith Afrocandy has announced through her Twitter timeline that before Uche Obodo made the nasty comment that she could act unclad irrespective of ... Full story
Orlando Pirates defender Siyabonga Sangweni has switched his focus to next season as he continues to battle with a knee injury that forced a premature ... Full story
Walmart Photo Center refuses to print photo of mother breastfeeding her baby because it 'violates store's nudity policy'
Walmart has come under fire for refusing to print a photo of mother breastfeeding her baby. As a gift for her first mother's day, Kayla Andre's ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- Mhofu, Friday 'Amayenge' Phiri fired
- 'DJ Munya hired hitmen'
- Zanu-PF perpetrated violence on cards, claims MDC-T
- Chris Brown in car crash
- Kingston Nkhatha to miss Nedbank final
- Vingirai in new effort to get Intermarket back
- We need to bury our dead and then bring Gukurahundi perpetrators to justice
- Monomotapa vs Highlanders update - Bosso running riot at Rufaro
- Congratulations Zimbabwe on new constitution
- GYEEDA investigations: Don’t rubbish committee’s ongoing work – Minister
- Unicom Chemist launches TENA healthcare products for bladder weakness
- Gov’t must scrap GYEEDA - IMANI
- Robbing the State: The case of GYEEDA
- Disorder in the Court - Things people actually said in court
- Update: Minor fire at GCB Tower quelled
- Sad: 13-year-old boy dies of electrocution
- Kumasi Central Market risks another fire outbreak
- DOVVSU to screen persons in 13-year-old forced marriage saga
- School feeding programme receives $1.6m support
- 2013 PANAFEST/ Emancipation day launched
- SCOAN delegation visits family of victims
- Politics and Prose: A tribute to Chinua Achebe
- Swedish couple to adopt conjoined twins
- KPMG cannot prove actual number of pink sheets filed or served -Lawyer
- Woyome appalled by conduct of judgement debt Sole Commission
- President Mahama leaves for 50th anniversary of AU tomorrow
- Sierra Leone: 'Sierra Leone Is Owned By All of Us'
- Camp Mulla’s MISS KARUN headed to LOS ANGELES……further studies
- ZSE shares hitting fresh highs as volumes remain depressed
- Robert Alai confirms where HUDDAH MONROE has VANISHED to …..
- Turnall sales and demand rebounds
- Jim Flaherty: No housing bubble but still concerned about CMHC
- Lafarge records static revenue performance
- How much ERIC OMONDI, JAGUAR, AVRIL, JALANG’O and the rest are PAID
- EU expenses: MEPs in Brussels earn up to 740% more than average citizen and enjoy free haircuts and gallons of petrol
- Michael Adebolajo: British-born suspect became 'obsessed with radical Islam as schoolboy'
- Michael Adebolajo: How Woolwich suspect 'became obsessed with Islam as a schoolboy'
- Bombers hit Niger barracks and mine
- Help for Heroes website flooded with wellwishers after Woolwich attack
- HABIDA lashes out at America’s Nicki Minaj
- Just a week until June and it's STILL snowing: But warmer weather may make welcome return over the bank holiday weekend with highs of 19C
- Mother's anger after officials only grant one of her disabled identical twin sons disability benefit
- SHAME: Counsellor DEFILES, IMPREGNATES and INFECTS 15 year old with STI in Kisumu
- Jet-sharing soars as economy picks up
- Psychotic bodybuilder who 'became obsessed with Batman's Joker' attacked innocent stranger with an axe
- The Angels of Woolwich: Three women's outstanding courage as they confront killers and pray for slaughtered soldier
- Scary PHOTOs of the World’s Most Dangerous Road
- Woolwich attack: Put extremists on first plane back to wherever they've come from, demands furious Tory MP Bob Stewart
- Police commander forced to defend response time to desperate Woolwich killing 999 calls as he claims armed officers were there in 14 minutes
- SHAME on our POLICE OFFICERS ……. LOOK at this PHOTO
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
His Excellency Dr Ernest Bai Koroma has said that Sierra Leone belongs every citizen. He made this statement during a courtesy call on him by ...
EU expenses: MEPs in Brussels earn up to 740% more than average citizen and enjoy free haircuts and gallons of petrol
MEP perks receive free haircuts and 52 gallons of petrol a month Their salaries cost £137million a month but do not include allowancesResearch finds French ...
By Richard Hartley-parkinson and Andy Dolan PUBLISHED: 08:40 GMT, 23 May 2013 | UPDATED: 15:54 GMT, 23 May 2013 Two men who allegedly slaughtered a soldier in a Woolwich street ...
Suspect identified as Michael Adebolajo, 28, who is a British citizen Schoolmates described a 'nice normal guy' who was radicalised at 15Man believed to be ...
23 May 2013 Last updated at 15:42 GMT ...
Website crashes under flood of donations and messages of supportSoldier had been wearing Help for Heroes top when he was killedHe was stabbed and nearly ...
Just a week until June and it's STILL snowing: But warmer weather may make welcome return over the bank holiday weekend with highs of 19C
Around 2cm of snow fell in Teesdale, County Durham and PenninesThis is despite forecasters predicting warm bank holiday weekend By Anthony Bond PUBLISHED: 11:15 GMT, 23 ...
Mother's anger after officials only grant one of her disabled identical twin sons disability benefit
Arthur and Alfie, both 10 months, share the exact same medical conditionsThey both need the same round-the-clock care including daily physiotherapy But only Arthur entitled ...
Psychotic bodybuilder who 'became obsessed with Batman's Joker' attacked innocent stranger with an axe
Dale Pipe, 20, asked 'Why so serious?' after stabbing victim 16 timesHad also posted on the internet praising the new violent Batman video gamePolice have ...
The Angels of Woolwich: Three women's outstanding courage as they confront killers and pray for slaughtered soldier
'Religious' woman in her 50s 'walked straight up to suspects with no fear'Sat next to victim in middle of the road and put her hands ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa