Battling hundreds of competitors and facing some deeply skeptical investors, the world’s most popular online coupons company will report its quarterly earnings on Monday.
Groupon, perhaps the best-known name in the fast-growing area of daily deals websites – where consumers receive daily notifications of significantly discounted products and services from local businesses – is expected to report its fiscal second-quarter earnings after market close on Monday. Groupon is coming off a better-than-expected first fiscal quarter, but its otherwise disappointing performance since going public in November has sent its stock price tumbling. After reaching a high of about $26 (U.S.) shortly after hitting the NASDAQ in November of 2011, Groupon’s stock price has steadily declined, and hovers around $7.40.
More Related to this Story
The fall from grace is particularly stark given that, less than two years ago, Groupon was one of the most sought-after private companies in the tech world. In late 2010, Google put forward a massive $6-billion bid to purchase Groupon outright, but the company declined, opting instead to file for an Initial Public Offering. Today, Groupon’s market value is less than $5-billion.
Essentially, Groupon makes money by convincing businesses to let it offer its users hugely discounted products and services. In exchange, the business receives a massive influx of Groupon users, some of who will, presumably, continue to frequent the business in the future, purchasing non-discounted items. Groupon makes money by taking a cut of the group-discount transactions. But many users and businesses have raised complaints about the model. Shoppers, who descend on a business in droves to cash in their coupons, often find that business swamped, and the quality of service low as a result.
Such problems are not unique to Groupon – almost every daily deals service operates in the same way. But therein lies Groupon’s other problem. The company has little in the way of proprietary technology, and because setting up a daily deals website is far less complicated than most other technology start-ups, the company has seen hundreds of competitors pop up in recent years.
Some of Groupon’s recent wounds have been self-inflicted. A year ago, investors and analysts raised concerns that Groupon was using non-standard accounting metrics that showed the company’s numbers in a more positive light.
Groupon has managed to show solid revenue and user growth, giving analysts hope it may have turned things around after a bumpy start. And given the company’s history, simply meeting earnings expectations and refraining from another accounting controversy could be enough to convince investors to give Groupon a pass.
More Related to this Story
Headlines Newsview all
Police in South Africa has confirmed on Thursday that over 20 boys have died over the past week during circumcision rituals blaming botched circumcisions as ... Full story
A 40-year old Gokwe woman recently gave birth to her 15th child, and said she would continue giving birth until she outdoes the senior wife ... Full story
The United Nations Assistance Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) strongly condemned the bombing that took place today near a hospital in the city of Benghazi and ...
Azim Aghajani, Iranian man and Nigerian counterpart Ali Jega get 17 years imprisonment for Arms ImportA Federal High Court in Lagos yesterday sentenced Iranian man Azim Aghajani and his Nigerian counterpart Ali Jega to 17 years imprisonment each for unlawful importation of firearms into Nigeria. The accused were convicted in a five-count charge of importation of 13 by 20 feet container loaded with firearms and explosives, and concealing the content of same. Justice Okechukwu Okeke, in his...
Controversial actress, Judith Afrocandy has announced through her Twitter timeline that before Uche Obodo made the nasty comment that she could act unclad irrespective of ... Full story
Orlando Pirates defender Siyabonga Sangweni has switched his focus to next season as he continues to battle with a knee injury that forced a premature ... Full story
Walmart Photo Center refuses to print photo of mother breastfeeding her baby because it 'violates store's nudity policy'
Walmart has come under fire for refusing to print a photo of mother breastfeeding her baby. As a gift for her first mother's day, Kayla Andre's ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- Tsvangirai vows to end Zezurunisation of the country
- Crotch horror! The TEN most horrific willy injuries
- Zimbabwe to introduce new ARV therapy for pregnant mothers
- Mujuru urges church leaders to participate in Zanu-PF programmes
- MDC-T has plans for CIOs
- China's VP Wang Yang to visit Zimbabwe
- Oil dealers jail for stealing Zesa transformer oil
- What criteria is going to be used for Gukurahundi criteria?
- Govt to force telecom companies to share infrastructure
- Dembare, Caps United match kicks off at 2pm, live on Supersport
- Zimbabwe Davis Cup team falls in Cairo
- 4 dead, 13 injured at T.B. Joshua’s church in Accra
- Governor General of Canada praises Ghana for turning to the courts to settle election depute
- Maternity ward of Korle Bu closed down due to power failure
- Ashaiman police arrests 17 suspected criminals
- MPs may get £10k pay rise: But they say: 'It's not snouts in the trough - if you pay peanuts you get monkeys'
- Beyonce attempts to put baby rumours to rest as she cinches her waist and gives a stellar performance in Milan
- Like mother, like daughter: Angelina Jolie will play Marcheline Bertrand in biopic to celebrate late mother's life
- Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart 'split' less than a year after her cheating scandal
- PHOTO from UHURU KENYATTA’s arrival at Sagana State Lodge, JUBILANT Wananchi
- Lagos State Govt. executes N1trn projects, says Fashola
- LOOK at this PHOTO …..Why should someone get drunk this much????
- PHOTOs from WILLIAM RUTO’s meeting with Kenyans in Nigeria
- PHOTO of President UHURU KENYATTA mingling with Wananchi at Chaka Market place
- IEBC’s JAME OSWAGO now says the commission is broke and cannot conduct MAKUENI by-election.
- Speaker MUTURI defies UHURU’s warning over MPs pay hike; says they will not be intimidated
- Police kill TERROR SUSPECTS linked to ELGIVA BWIRE who were planning major terror attack in Nairobi.
- Wizkid beat PSquare, Flavour, others to win African Artist of the Year
- RAILA ODINGA’s CORD backs MUTULA KILONZO’s daughter KETHI KILONZO for Makueni seat
- SHAME: Details of WILLIAM RUTO’s Sh 100 MILLION jet for his shuttle diplomacy around Africa
- NO pay rise for GREEDY MPs, deliver services first - President UHURU KENYATTA declares
- My Google glimpse of the future... or am I making a spectacle of myself? The revolutionary 'smartphone in your glasses' which fans admit makes you look stupid
- MAKAU MUTUA’s letter to RAILA ODINGA - don’t accept UHURU/ RUTO job’s offer, they want to kill you politically
- Another ONE: Am comfortable with my SMALL SALARY - Embakasi West MP GEORGE THEURI
- Is this nurse serving 30 years for murders that never happened? Compelling new evidence suggests 'Angel of Death' is innocent
- Hypertension, commonest cardiovascular disorder, says Cardiologist
- NICE POLITICIAN: I don’t want PAY RISE, I need to serve my people - Chuka MP, NJUKI
- Tunisia police clash with Islamists
- Jang backs emergency rule in 3 states
- WARNING to Kenyan LADIES: REASONS why that NIGERIAN man will never MARRY you….MUST READ.
- Belgian STAR hints at Man Utd switch.
- Google tax avoidance row: Internet giant accused of 'scandalous' tax avoidance scheme by whistleblower
- Santi CAZORLA sends a rallying call to Arsenal.
- MOURINHO’s return could see TORRES exit Chelsea.
- Paramilitary officer killed in Wajir
- Paramilitary officer killed in Wajir
- Man City SHATTERS British transfer RECORD with STRIKER signing,
- Man Utd and Chelsea receive bad news from Spain.
- Chelsea steps up pursuit of Man Utd’s ROONEY.
- Ellie Jones dead: Three teenage boys arrested after girl, 16, dies hours after 'taking an illegal drug'
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
A TEENAGE girl has been arrested in Florida for chomping on her boyfriend's bits, after he refused to have sex with her. Krystle Harrison, 19, ...
MPs may get £10k pay rise: But they say: 'It's not snouts in the trough - if you pay peanuts you get monkeys'
Annual salaries would increase from £65,738 to £75,000May be staged of five years from 2015, after the General ElectionOfficials could also demand that they give ...
My Google glimpse of the future... or am I making a spectacle of myself? The revolutionary 'smartphone in your glasses' which fans admit makes you look stupid
I became the first British newspaper journalist to test drive Google Glass£1,000 device has been tipped to replace smartphone as the 'must have' By Caroline ...
Is this nurse serving 30 years for murders that never happened? Compelling new evidence suggests 'Angel of Death' is innocent
Colin Norris was jailed in 2008 for four murders and an attempted murderThe prosecution at his trial said the victims all died from hypoglycaemiaIt was ...
19 May 2013 Last updated at 11:48 GMT ...
Google tax avoidance row: Internet giant accused of 'scandalous' tax avoidance scheme by whistleblower
Barney Jones said Google diverts British profits through Ireland to Bermuda Former executive said company 'pulled the wool over the eyes' of HMRCAdds to mounting ...
Unknown gunmen shot dead an officer with a paramilitary security unit in northeastern Kenya on Saturday evening, police said. ...
Ellie Jones dead: Three teenage boys arrested after girl, 16, dies hours after 'taking an illegal drug'
Teenager Ellie Jones was at a friend's house in Warrington, CheshireShe began experiencing breathing problems at 3.30am yesterday morningParamedics treated her at the scene but ...
Michael Anthony, 84, said it took four hours just to get through to 111 hotlineHe then had more than five hours for a nurse to ...
In the past years, Iranian security and judiciary officials occasionally said that they ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa