Trustfund Pensions Plc has lost the bid to stop the National Industrial Court sitting in Abuja from hearing the case filed by the sacked managing director of the company, Mr. Bernard Nkem Ekwe, challenging his removal from office as the MD.
The court last Friday dismissed an objection filed by Trustfund seeking to dismiss Ekwe's claim that his removal from office as MD was improper.
The court had earlier stopped the pension company from appointing a new managing director pending the determination of a suit filed by Ekwe.
Justice A.O. Shogbola while dismissing the objection said the court was empowered to hear cases involving disputes between employees and employers.
He said: "Following a careful perusal of the claims, it is very clear that the claimant is challenging his removal as the managing director of Trustfund Pensions Plc by the defendants.
"From the facts available to this court, the claimant was an employee of the defendants before his employment was brought to an end abruptly.
"This means that the issue involved in this matter has to do with employment or non-employment of the claimant."
Ekwe had dragged the firm to the Industrial Court claiming that he was unlawfully removed from office as managing director.
He asked the court to declare that he remained in office as managing director of the pension firm and entitled to be paid all wages, emoluments and other entitlements.
In response, Trustfund filed a preliminary objection challenging the jurisdiction of the court to hear the case.
In the objection, the pension firm said that the Industrial Court did not have jurisdiction to hear the case.
It said that only the Federal High Court had the jurisdiction.
But Mr. Adeyemi Pitan, who appeared for the plaintiff, said that the federal high court had no jurisdiction on issues bordering on contractual relationship between an employee and an employer.
But before arguments could be taken on the objection, the court ordered the parties to maintain the status quo meaning that Trustfund should not appoint a new MD until Ekwe's case had been determined.
However, dissatisfied with the court's ruling, Trustfund has filed an appeal at the Court of Appeal in Abuja asking the appellate court to set aside the lower court's order stopping the firm from appointing a new MD.
Copyright © 2012 This Day. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
Headlines Newsview all
Dodoma — POLICE were blocked in their attempt to arrest suspects in the weekend's blast in Arusha, the National Assembly was told here on Monday. "We ... Full story
Former Ghanaian President Jerry Rawlings Slams Nigerian Government for Allowing Corrupt Politicians Escape Justice
Former Ghana president, Jerry Rawlings, has launched a scathing attack on the Nigerian government's anti-corruption record, severely criticizing the leadership's failure to punish politicians who ... Full story
Female judges are concerned about the increasing cases of domestic violence despite the existence of the law to support prosecution of such cases. The judges under ...
ZIMBABWE'S Big Brother Africa The Chase housemate, Pokello Nare, who has been taunted as being boring, has received advice from an unlikely source. Controversial Big Brother ... Full story
Kim Kardashian gave birth to her first child on Saturday - a month ahead of her due date. Mail Online exclusively revealed that the 32-year-old had ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- Scandalous 2 - Part 2
- Scandalous 2
- Zipra Recognition
- Mugabe files urgent court application to delay polls by 2 weeks
- Scandalous - Part 2
- Maame Kyerewaa 2 - Part 2
- Maame Kyerewaa 2
- Maame Kyerewaa - Part 2
- Maame Kyerewaa
- Gov’t dismisses claims that ‘anti galamsey taskforce’ is targeted at Chinese nationals
- CETAG rejects gov’t’s appeal to call off strike
- False reports of formalin use threatens livelihood of fisherfolk
- Officials of BOST surprised at decision to investigate two of its oil depots
- Low capacity of staff of AG’s dep't cause of flaws in international transactions – Parliament
- KMA engineers to assist in rebuilding temporary structures at Kumasi Central Market
- GIL to introduce Chinese language from July
- First Ghana-France higher education conference opens
- Families urged to collect abandoned corpses from morgue
- Rain swamps Delhi airport
- Ghanaian farmers to access new rice and sorghum varieties
- Teachers in training colleges embark on strike
- What's YOUR risk of impotence? As our new calculator reveals, your lifestyle could to increase the chance by 85%
- Drunk robber who held up petrol station wearing a SEE-THROUGH plastic bag over his head jailed for two years
- Jeremy Forrest weeps as his lawyers reveal he will not give evidence in his defence
- Charlie Kelsey-Neil, 12, who was fascinated by TV magician Dynamo accidentally hanged himself in his bedroom
- Gun-battle inside Somalia UN office
- Dilapidated home on millionaire's resort of Sandbanks sold for record sum because of its incredible sea view
- FedEx profit beats expectations
- Helen Flanagan left 'shaken' after armed raiders break into her house and steal jewellery and her mobile phone
- Incredible video shows how to fold a t-shirt in just TWO SECONDS
- U.S. home builders ask: Where have all the carpenters gone?
- Father's grief at train 'suicide' of 18-year-old son Mert Karaoglan and school friend, 15
- UK weather: Hottest day of the year with temperatures set to top 27C
- Zimbabwe's first 'Cattle Bank'
- Nigeria motorbike raiders 'kill 48'
- Men don't stand a chance with women if under 6ft: Bad luck for Tom Cruise, Daniel Radcliffe, Jack Black and Seth Green
- RAILA says UHURU/ RUTO should be at The Hague as he rubbishes AU over UHURUTO’s ICC cases
- Mugabe seeks July 31 poll date extension
- Mugabe seeks July 31 poll date extension
- ADEN DUALE brags that he is the only MP who has ‘SECRET KEY’ to State House, Nairobi
- UHURU and RUTO currently meeting all the 47 Governors to assure them of DEVOLUTION
- ARSENAL 2013-14 COMPLETE fixtures LIST.
- How Alan Greenspan’s ‘tone’ moved gold and silver (but Ben Bernanke’s doesn’t)
- REVEALED: Rogue drug lord, ANTHONY CHINEDU is a senior member of Nigerian Secret Service
- Premarket: Traders await Bernanke, early selling erupts in RIM
- We are talking to the Nigerian Government and not ANTHONY CHINEDU - AMINA
- Man Utd COMPLETE 2013-14 fixtures LIST.
- Man fatally assaulted over a cigarette
- Latest Government Jobs in Kenya - KESREF
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
What's YOUR risk of impotence? As our new calculator reveals, your lifestyle could to increase the chance by 85%
Around 50% of men aged between 40 and 70 suffer with impotence and increasing numbers of men in their 20s and 30s are developing conditionCauses ...
Drunk robber who held up petrol station wearing a SEE-THROUGH plastic bag over his head jailed for two years
Jamie Neil arrested days later after officer recognised him from CCTVAccomplice tried to pretend his phone was a gun - but keypad lit upRobbers jailed ...
Jeremy Forrest relying on character witnesses rather than speaking himselfHis sister Carrie called him a doting uncle and godfather to several childrenShe said he was ...
Charlie Kelsey-Neil, 12, who was fascinated by TV magician Dynamo accidentally hanged himself in his bedroom
Charlie Kelsey-Neil was fascinated by knots and a fan of magician DynamoThe 12-year-old schoolboy was found hanging in his room by a siblingInquest heard he ...
19 June 2013 Last updated at 12:12 GMT ...
Dilapidated home on millionaire's resort of Sandbanks sold for record sum because of its incredible sea view
Price paid equates to £1,725 per square foot for four-bedroom houseHouse last sold on the market in 1998 for £665,000New owners to spend another £1m ...
Helen Flanagan left 'shaken' after armed raiders break into her house and steal jewellery and her mobile phone
Three men broke into her home in Prestbury, Cheshire, last nightHours before hand she wrote on Twitter that she was home aloneThieves burst into her ...
Masterful technique demonstrated by 'How To' expert Dave HaxInvolves pinching two points of shirt then flipping it overVideo has already been viewed more than 2.5million ...
Charleigh Disbrey, 15, and Mert Karaoglan, 18, stepped in front of a trainMert's father said his son told him he was 'going out for one ...
Warmest day of the year was June 6 when it reached 25C in Lee-on-SolentBut the record is set to go today after mercury hit 24C ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa