Abuja — The Minister of Power, Prof. Barth Nnaji Saturday described as false and misleading a report that some junior workers in the power ministry had shut down the Shiroro dam which supplies water to the Shiroro hydro station.
Reacting to the report through a statement by his special assistant (Media), Mr. Ogbuagu Anikwe, the minister alleged that "the reports were planted by a handful of professional trade unionists in the leadership of the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) who do not consider anything sacred in their self-assigned mission of agitation and propaganda (agit-prop) against the ongoing power sector reform."
The statement explained that Shiroro dam is working impressively, claiming that "on the day the false and misleading report appeared, it was generating 550 megawatts out of the designed capacity of 600MW.
"In fact, it is doing better than the 760MW Kainji hydro power plant built in 1968 but had not been overhauled until now.
"Shiroro is a major contributor to the unprecedented quantum of 4,237MW plus 70MW spinning reserve which the nation has been generating since Monday, August 7, 2012, to the delight of all our people."
The minister said his ministry was "very much aware that there are some elements viciously opposed to improved electricity supply and are working with forces benefitting from the corrupt and decadent order which has for decades kept the nation down, impeded economic growth and adversely affected social life," alleging further that sponsors of the controversial reports merely hide under the canopy of labour activism "to actively and secretly promote the business interests of a notorious cabal in the power sector. He called on the Nigerian people "to watch out for these saboteurs working against improved power supply."
According to the minister, the federal government remains resolute in the determination to end forever the electricity blight.
"It has consequently taken all appropriate measures to safeguard the huge electricity assets across the country and the dedicated men and women work day and night in these facilities to ensure that constant and quality electricity is available to every Nigerian as of every right. The nation appreciates the commitment, patriotism, sacrifice of these conscientious citizens in the power sector," the minister said.
He explained that in recognition of the vital role of the power sector workers in national development, the federal government approved a 50 percent increase in salary for the PHCN staff since June of 2011, set aside for them a percentage of shares of the 17 PHCN successor companies being privatised, converted some 10,000 casual workers to permanent staff, and paid the staff N57 billion for the monetised benefits denied them since 2003 when the monetisation policy was introduced.
He disclosed that the government has agreed to pay 25 percent of their salary as part of the severance in the wake of the privatisation of PHCN assets, even though they did not make any contributions to the pension scheme up to July 1, 2004, when the Pension Reform Act came into effect.
"Despite the PHCN failure to comply with this Act and the failure of both the PHCN management and the workers to contribute 7.5% each of the workers' salary to the pension scheme as required by the law, the government has offered to pay 15% of each PHCN employee's salary as part of the retirement benefits.
"We would like to assure all Nigerians that the worst days are over as far as electricity is concerned. The current improvement is not irreversible. The programme for power development in Nigeria to international standards is very much on course, and the whole world is convinced that Nigeria is finally on the right electricity track," the minister said in the statement.
Copyright © 2012 This Day. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
Headlines Newsview all
Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, who has been accused of living an opulent lifestyle that is inconsistent with his government salary, has invited corruption busters to ...
Popular radio announcer, Munyaradzi Mlimo showed no emotion as he was sent to remand prison together with his co-accused during an initial remand hearing at ...
The World Bank has unveiled a $1bn (£660m) aid package to help the Democratic Republic of Congo and its neighbours, as fighting continues near the ... Full story
Controversial actress, Judith Afrocandy has announced through her Twitter timeline that before Uche Obodo made the nasty comment that she could act unclad irrespective of ... Full story
Orlando Pirates defender Siyabonga Sangweni has switched his focus to next season as he continues to battle with a knee injury that forced a premature ... Full story
Walmart Photo Center refuses to print photo of mother breastfeeding her baby because it 'violates store's nudity policy'
Walmart has come under fire for refusing to print a photo of mother breastfeeding her baby. As a gift for her first mother's day, Kayla Andre's ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- Suspects In London Attack Are Both Nigerians
- SHOCK as 48-year-old African man claims to be JESUS CHRIST
- Husband catches wife CHEATING while the man tries to escape (VIDEO)
- SHOCKER as daughter marries her MOTHER’s HUSBAND
- Mayhem as man catches sister (12) KISSING TENANT
- Woman bites boyfriend’s P*N*S after he refused to have S*X with her
- Squeezing the most out of your bonds
- PHOTO: Who is doing this to MUSALIA MUDAVADI? Please STOP!!
- Zoo worker has died after being mauled by tiger in front of visitors as she fed it in animal enclosure
- PHOTO of UHURU KENYATTA from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Those rare PHOTOs of unusual HOUSES
- What is wrong with this PHOTO?
- A very rare PHOTO of retired President DANIEL MOI with his entire FAMILY in 1967
- Is this style or what? LOOK at this PHOTO?
- Sorry... we thought you were dead! Death notice blunder left expat's friends grieving for thirty years
- Seven-year-old killed by suicide jumper who plunged on top of her from tenth floor apartment in South Korea
- Proposal before OMERS would require employees to work longer to get full pension
- The 10 types of Kenyan HUSBANDS
- Court grants Atuche, wife time to file no-case application
- For Quebec, Enbridge's pipeline project a no-brainer
- SHOCK as one of the LADIES caught doing it with a DOG is chased out of HOTEL
- MTN project fame season 6 auditions begin
- 18,426 youths from S/South employed under SURE-P scheme – Labour Minister
- Tuface, PSquare,19 others headline Star trek 2013
- Is Chantelle really doing this to J Blessings’ CLIENTS……..SHAME SHAME
- JAMB takes step against exam malpractices
- NGF: Amaechi floors Jonathan
- Nigeria shines at Cannes 2013
- If you don’t have reason for waking up, sleeping becomes interesting – Linus Okorie
- REVEALED!! How MIKE SONKO and JAGUAR met ….Back in the days
- Chief Edwin Clark: Celebrating a Nigerian treasure at 86
- TEEN WORRIES: I'm a boy trapped in a girl's body but my parents won’t talk about it
- Deidre daily drama: Secret sex with son of my dad’s bride ...and I have a boyfriend
- Confirmed!! Classic 105’s LARRY ASEGO wedded SECRETELY on Saturday…….invited guests via SMS
- Large scale cultivation of wee in Northern Regional town causes stir
- Eastern Region: Possible havoc ruled out in Thursday’s earth tremor
- Ghana's spate of lawlessness sky rocketing – Tony Aidoo observes
- African elite have failed us; AU made irrelevant - author
- Police grant bail to five suspects in Ablekuma forced marriage scandal
- PFAG, SEND-Ghana receives $80,000 to improve extension services
- Even Christ didn’t perform miracles as T.B. Joshua – Sheikh Bamehyi
- MTN Ghana Foundation increases investment in ICT facilities
- Midwives shortage hits Ghana - report
- NMC announces new board for state owned media
- Turkey to ban late-night sale of alcohol
- Centre for Policy Research proposes decentralisation of GYEEDA
- Illegal gun manufacturers arrested in Ashanti Region
- Pension Authority to prosecute Employers if...
- Prez Mahama eulogises Chinua Achebe
- Tano North MP says bad roads in the constituency is affecting farming productivity
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
Zoo worker has died after being mauled by tiger in front of visitors as she fed it in animal enclosure
24 year-old woman was mauled at South Lakes Wild Animal Park in CumbriaShe suffered serious injuries to her face and neck in the attack at ...
Sorry... we thought you were dead! Death notice blunder left expat's friends grieving for thirty years
Christine Greenslade and her family moved away from Cornish hometownShe placed an obituary for her mother in Cornish newspaper in 1980The Cornishman printed Christine's name ...
Seven-year-old killed by suicide jumper who plunged on top of her from tenth floor apartment in South Korea
South Korean man jumping off building kills girl after landing on herSeven-year-old died after her neighbour's body hit her on the street By Daily Mail ...
I'M A boy trapped in a girl’s body but my parents won’t talk about it and think I should be happy being a girl. I’m 16 ...
MY DAD is getting married to his fiancée in two months’ time – and they’ve no idea I’ve been having sex with her son, especially ...
Monaco Grand Prix Name: Circuit de Monaco Number of Laps: 78 Track Length: 2.075 miles Race Distance: 161.9 miles Number of times held: 70 Winners from Pole: 26 Full Throttle: 45 per ...
GEORGE GROVES has begged Carl Froch not to deny him a crack at the world title. The Commonwealth super-middleweight champion, 25, takes on Noe Alcoba on ...
MARK CAVENDISH’S hopes of winning the Giro d’Italia points crown were given a huge boost on Friday — by snow. The sprint king was in danger ...
CARL FROCH will say a big thank you to Lennox Lewis if he manages to unify two super-middleweight titles tonight. Froch puts his IBF belt on ...
IAN POULTER admits he is struggling to recapture the form that provided the spark for Europe’s Ryder Cup triumph. And he is not alone as world ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa