In a bid to cater for a 20 percent passenger increase by 2020, Gatwick airport is to revamp its infrastructure to cope with the projected swell in traffic. A development masterplan issued by the airport's management said it could accommodate an increase from last year's 33.8m passengers to 40m by 2020 - and even 45m by 2030 - without needing a second runway. It will though set aside land for a second runway should the need arise in future; a planning restriction prevents one from opening until at least 2019.
Chief executive Stewart Wingate said: "We need to anticipate that, in the long term, a second runway at Gatwick may be needed. This means we will continue to work in partnership with our local authorities to safeguard land for future expansion because we believe it to be sensible business practice and it supports current Government policy."
The plan shows that Gatwick expects to invest £1bn in infrastructure by 2020, but not on any major new building. It proposes to create a single security area for the North Terminal, similar to that in the South Terminal, to offer more seats and circulation space in both departure and to improve both arrivals halls.
There will also be various minor infrastructure works to improve parts of the runway and taxiways, including to enable regular operation of the A380 aircraft.
Gatwick claims to be the world's busiest single-runway airport and Europe's busiest point-to-point airport. It expects to continue to be dominated by leisure flights, but to see a steady expansion of business travel.
Copyright © 2012 This Day. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
Headlines Newsview all
The World Bank has unveiled a $1bn (£660m) aid package to help the Democratic Republic of Congo and its neighbours, as fighting continues near the ... Full story
United States President Barack Obama will not be visiting Nigeria as recently speculated in the media. Obama and his wife Michelle will only visit Senegal, ...
NELSON Mandela’s daughters are suing him for the rights to his artworks and control of his millions, it has been reported. According to the Star on ... Full story
Controversial actress, Judith Afrocandy has announced through her Twitter timeline that before Uche Obodo made the nasty comment that she could act unclad irrespective of ... Full story
Orlando Pirates defender Siyabonga Sangweni has switched his focus to next season as he continues to battle with a knee injury that forced a premature ... Full story
Walmart Photo Center refuses to print photo of mother breastfeeding her baby because it 'violates store's nudity policy'
Walmart has come under fire for refusing to print a photo of mother breastfeeding her baby. As a gift for her first mother's day, Kayla Andre's ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- Election uncertainties scare away Zimbabwe investors
- 'Zimbabwe can have more radio, TV stations'
- President Mahama arrives in Addis Ababa for start of AU Summit
- Funny: Disorder in the Court - Things people actually said in court
- DOVVSU arrests 3 in bizarre forced marriage saga of 13-year-old girl
- Acting DG of prisons service firm on introducing non-custodial sentencing for minor offenses
- Samsung Galaxy S4: significance differences between African and US versions
- Eastern Region records earth tremor
- Honeymoon at Mole National Park
- Nasa to lease shuttle launch pad
- Political scientist fears, Ghana will never be the same after Election Petition ruling
- Ministry begs for help to organise Best Teacher Awards
- CID picks up 2 top officials of Lands Commission for fraud
- Woyome petitions judgement debt commission
- ZCTU blasts MDC-T policy document
- Fighting corruption in Ghana: Blueprint exists but will lacking - Emile Short
- Ghana to use special satellite in numbering houses
- Masvingo thwarts resurgent Mujuru faction
- Woow!! Beautiful PHOTO of young President OBAMA
- Letter to OBAMA from KISUMU City……..HILARIOUS
- Tsvangirai invites corruption busters to investigate him
- BRITAIN’s House of Lords tells CAMERON and his Government that they must work with UHURU/ RUTO.
- DJ Munya sent to prison
- Namibia: Promoting Destination Namibia
- Runways closed at Heathrow Airport after BA plane makes emergency landing
- Chinamasa blocks Zanu-PF's June 29 elections bid
- Woolwich attack: Michael Adebolajo was best friend of war hero killed in Iraq at school
- RAILA’s ODM MPs want KALONZO/ NYENZE be prosecuted immediately for GRABBING from poor Kambas
- RUTO's Private Jet cost less than what RAILA/ KALONZO spent - AHMEDNASIR ABDULLAHI (More REVEALED)
- Woolwich attack: Descent into evil of teenager Michael Adebolajo from devout Christian family
- NANCY BARAZA’s replacement takes the HOT SEAT (Vetting underway) for RAWAL
- Female unemployment: Number of young women out of work or education soars by 26,000
- UHURU and RUTO’s ICC cases will be NO MORE if AFRICAN UNION passes the ICC resolution
- Uganda: Tourism Sector Is Crying Out for More
- Man City stuns Chelsea in seven-goal friendly thriller.
- Lee Rigby pictured: Face of innocent drummer, 25, 'butchered in Woolwich by Muslim fanatics'
- KAYA elders furious with UHURU/ RUTO for nominating KAMBI - he is not educated, they want MWAKWERE
- GOR MAHIA’s Logarusic accused of undermining Harambee Stars.
- Niger: Militants Revenge Attack Hits Military, Uranium Mine
- JAKOYO MIDIWO claims RAILA ODINGA won the last election with a landslide - BVR SAGA investigated
- US and EUROPEAN UNION reject Kenya’s plea to have UHURU and RUTO’s ICC cases stopped
- Massive Recruitment at Nairobi Women’s Hospital, Kenya
- Proxy advisory firms’ clout undiminished
- ‘Crane operator’ or ‘hoisting engineer’? When bureaucracy attacks
- Oil sands deals lose traction
- Income inequality data still giving off worrisome economic signal
- NGO Job Vacancies in Kenya - USAID-Funded Project
- Attacks on soldiers 'incredibly hard' to prevent ex-MI6 chief warns as ministers say controls are difficult in a free society
- Nation Media Technical Jobs in Kenya
- NGO Jobs in Western Kenya - County Project
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
British Airways plane was forced to make an emergency landingAll 75 passengers have been evacuated safely and are accounted forSpeculation has emerged the aircraft had ...
Michael Adebolajo was schoolfriends with Lance Corporal Kirk RedpathThe soldier, 22, was killed when an IED blew up his Land Rover in 2007Adebolajo now suspected ...
Michael Adebolajo's parents are hard-working Nigerian immigrantsA Christian couple, they believed in assimilating into British lifeHe was 'just a lovely, lovely guy', former classmate Stephen ...
Number of young women not in education or a job now outnumbers men by more than 100,000 By Stephen Doughty PUBLISHED: 16:25 GMT, 23 May 2013 | UPDATED: 09:24 ...
Lee Rigby, 25, hit by car on the pavement before being brutally murderedDrummer known as 'Riggers' was 'loving father' to two-year-old son JackHe died just ...
Attacks on soldiers 'incredibly hard' to prevent ex-MI6 chief warns as ministers say controls are difficult in a free society
Richard Barrett, ex-head of counter-terrorism at MI6, highlights difficulties in spotting 'red flags'Communities Secretary Eric Pickles says there are limits to controls in a free ...
Pictured: The dramatic moment Woolwich killers are shot by officers after one charged at a police vehicle
Two men can be seen brandishing weapons in broad daylightFootage appears to have taken from a nearby block of flatsIt happened after Drummer Lee Rigby, ...
Woolwich attack: How MI5 had ex-prisoner in sights as he preached at Poundland just yards from murder scene
MI5 had been monitoring two fanatics responsible for SE London killing One fanatic was photographed behind hate preacher Anjem ChoudaryMichael Adebolajo, 28, was also a ...
Ian Livingston's earnings have jumped from £7.7m to £9.1m in a yearBonus was lower but he earned more as BT shares are performing so wellIf ...
24 May 2013 Last updated at 06:53 GMT ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa