The recent approval of 2013 fiscal framework with projected revenue of N3.891 trillion and N4.929trillion for expenditure by the Federal Government, while 2012 Budget is still in implementation stage and has been contested by House of Representatives as well as various interest groups has sparked controversy in the economy.
While some financial analysts said government should handle economic activities systematically to enhance development, others are of the opinion that government ought to have evaluated the performance of 2012 budget to ascertain the impact on the economy before jumping into 2013 fiscal framework.
President Goodluck Jonathan at a recent Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting said that the fiscal framework must be submitted to the National Assembly by September.
Giving insight into what prompted the immediate approval of the financial document, the co-ordinating Minister of the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said, "the work for budget for 2013 must start early this year, that is why we have the fiscal strategy paper this early. Once we finish it, we will transmit the document to the National Assembly.
"We are working on the basis of crude oil production projection of 2.53 million barrels a day, against 2.48 million barrels a day in 2012, and benchmark price of $75 a barrel against $72 a barrel in 2012. Fiscal deficit will be reduced to 2.17 per cent in 2013, from 2.85 per cent of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), which is below the three per cent as prescribed by the fiscal responsibility bill. Also, the 2013 budget will include a new approach to managing debt in the economy."
She added, "We have been managing the yearly domestic borrowing from N852bn in 2011 to N744bn in 2012 and we are projecting N727bn in 2013. Therefore by 2015, we want to bring the yearly borrowing down to N500billion, not the entire debt stock.
Most importantly, with the approval of the President, we want to start a sinking fund and will devote about N25billion into the fund in order to start putting money aside to retire the debt also built up. Also, N75billion will be set aside to retire a bond that will be due in February 2013.
"In 2013 budget, recurrent expenditure is reduced from 71.47 per cent of the total budget in 2012 down to 68.66 per cent. So we are continuing the trend by increasing capital expenditure from 28.53 per cent in 2012 to 31.34 per cent in 2013.
"Government is intensifying efforts to improve the implementation of 2012 budget, which was already at 41.3 percent as at 20th June and 2013 budget proposal will be anchored on the key goal of 2013-2015 Medium Term Framework designed to create jobs," she maintained.
The Minister stressed that by 2015, yearly borrowing must be brought down to N500billion and not the entire debt stock, when the recent statistics released by the Debt Management Office (DMO) stated that Nigeria's total debt stock as at March 2012 was N6.8 trillion, which translates to $44 billion.
Out of the total amount, N5.96 trillion ($38.3 billion) is said to be domestic debt and N919 billion ($5.9 billion) is external debt, only seven years after the much-talked about debt cancellation.
In 2005 the national debt was estimated at $36 billion. Worried by the huge debt stock, the Nigerian government made effort to pay the Paris club $12 billion to secure a debt relief of $18 billion. Interestingly, the debt relief was obtained through the initiative of the then Minister of Finance, Dr. Okonjo-Iweala, who is currently the Minister of Finance and the co-ordinating minister of the economy.
Meanwhile allocation for domestic debt service alone in 2012 appropriation bill was N559.6 billion, which is higher than allocation for power that is the most pressing need in the economy. This explains why most financial experts are advising government to run the economy coherently to ensure sustainable development.
The fiscal framework will ensure early passage of budget: Mr. Richard Tinubu, Management and Financial Consultant to Osun State government.
"The fiscal framework will ensure early passage of budget for investments to thrive. "Many people are complaining about the aspect of debt, forgetting that government needs money to finance capital projects. This implies that government will continue to borrow to execute capital projects if the economy must develop to attract foreign investments.
A financial analyst and Managing Director, Lambeth Trust & Investment Company Limited, Mr David Adonri said, "The approval of the fiscal framework is a welcome development. It means the ministry of finance is trying to conclude work on time on the budget. If the National Assembly approves the budget on time then it will fast track economic growth because by January the appropriation bill would have been ready.
"Another issue is that the budget components may not be friendly with the financial market because of the high level of debt. When over 26 per cent of a budget for the entire economic year is funded by debt, the tendency is that it may not be friendly with the economy".
An operator of Small and Medium Enterprise (SME), Mr. Silas Igwe in a chat with Sunday Business, on the 2013 fiscal framework said, "We noted that the Finance Minister explained that the recurrent expenditure will decline from 71.47 per cent in 2012 to 68.66 per cent in 2013 and continue to decline in the medium-term.
According to her, capital expenditure is expected to rise from 28.53 per cent in 2012 to 31.34 per cent in 2013 and will continue the same way in the medium-term. These are laudable ideas. But beyond the figures we have on paper, we want to see positive impact on the economy in terms of boosting the growth of SMEs across the country.
Government should take proactive steps to develop the sub-sector of SMEs in order to achieve relative full employment in the economy. Private sector partnership must be encouraged, because government alone does not have the capacity to provide jobs for a population of over 160million.
Copyright © 2012 Vanguard. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
Headlines Newsview all
United States President Barack Obama will not be visiting Nigeria as recently speculated in the media. Obama and his wife Michelle will only visit Senegal, ...
NELSON Mandela’s daughters are suing him for the rights to his artworks and control of his millions, it has been reported. According to the Star on ... Full story
Carl Pistorius was acquitted of all charges, including culpable homicide and negligent driving, in the Vanderbijlpark Magistrates Court on Tuesday. Pistorius was involved in an accident ...
Controversial actress, Judith Afrocandy has announced through her Twitter timeline that before Uche Obodo made the nasty comment that she could act unclad irrespective of ... Full story
Orlando Pirates defender Siyabonga Sangweni has switched his focus to next season as he continues to battle with a knee injury that forced a premature ... Full story
Walmart Photo Center refuses to print photo of mother breastfeeding her baby because it 'violates store's nudity policy'
Walmart has come under fire for refusing to print a photo of mother breastfeeding her baby. As a gift for her first mother's day, Kayla Andre's ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- Kenya’s Senate is for OLD PEOPLE, POLITICAL RETIREES and IDLERS - MITHIKA LINTURI
- Angola: 1º De Agosto Beat Libolo, Confirm Title
- Nigeria: Glo Soccer Academy Boys Thrill in Dubai
- Nigeria: Ogba Commends Coach Osagie
- “UHURU/RUTO’s” man in Siaya REVEALS how RAILA/ MIDIWO played dirty tricks for HIS FALL
- Angola: Hockey World Cup's Organisers Ready for Last Inspection Visit
- Zambia: Sports Council Helps Cricketers
- Gambia: 'I Want to Excel in Italy' - Ali Sowe
- Here is the TRUTH on why OBAMA by-passed Kenya – Don’t listen to the REST
- Stunning symmetry of 'Shaolin' children: Martial arts practice makes teenagers in China the most well behaved in the world
- How teens are shunning Facebook in favor of Twitter and Tumblr to avoid peers' oversharing and prying parents' profiles
- Nigeria: Arik Admits Two Crew Members Arrested in U.K. for Drug Trafficking
- Equatorial Guinea: Equatorial Guinea Joins the Ranks for Cosafa Cup 2013
- Africa: CAF Appoints Nigeria's Maigari, Others Into Committees
- Nigeria: We Will Start Nigerian Sports Development Afresh - Gbenga Elegbeleye
- Wives fight over Seiso Moyo estate
- Court orders NMC, GBC to compensate Eva Lokko
- Addison to re-examine Bawumia today
- Ashanti Regional Police Command plan aggressive swoops in criminal hideouts
- I'll compensate bereaved families,TB Joshua pledges
- Gov't pharmacists vow to continue strike
- Police intercepts trucks smuggling subsidised fertilizer into Burkina Faso
- Apple's Tim Cook defends tax claim
- Workshop on internet governance opens in Accra
- Waterville, Michelletti MDs deny dealing with Woyome
- MMDAs failing to release Common Fund to PWDs
- Hajj Committee announces package for 2013 pilgrimage
- Awutu-Senya adopts measures to increase revenue generation
- (Gory photo attached) Surveyor shot dead, others injured over Dodowa land
- You must believe in God to be a freemason – Grandmaster of Lodge
- Part Two: GYEEDA's questionable contracts cause nation millions
- Striking pharmacists caution management against victimization of members
- Cruel friends killed sheep with hammer then butchered it in field so they could have a free roast dinner
- David McGreavy can be named for murdering three children in 1973
- SUAREZ is happy and committed to Liverpool: RODGERS.
- Japan holds steady, upgrades economic outlook
- Zimbabwe: Mhende Quits International Rugby
- Nigeria: Pillars Spend N35 Million to Clear Bonuses
- Nigeria/Uganda: Micho Beats Siasia to Uganda Job
- Nigeria: National U-19 Cricket Team Departs for ICC World Cup
- British basejumper's terror as his parachute fails to open when he leaps off 1,000ft cliff (...but amazingly he escaped with minor injuries)
- Nigeria: Insurgents Fight With Libyan Weapons - Army
- Nigeria: Human Parts Available - Live Human, N40,000 - Head, N8,000 - Hands, N4,000
- Tragic sight of dead horses piled high as farmers return to find 'just scorched earth' after Oklahoma tornado
- Did UHURU lie during the Presidential Debate about his family’s LAND? 'Willing Buyer, Willing Seller'
- Sophie Dahl shows off her post-baby body as she supports husband Jamie Cullum at his album launch
- Zambia: Kambwili Launches Cosafa Advert
- Lawyer tracks down his stolen iPad using special app after police refused to investigate
- Nice PHOTO of OBAMA looking outside from his official jet (Air Force One)
- Teenage apprentice who was target of warehouse forklift pranks died after being accidentally crushed into wall
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
Stunning symmetry of 'Shaolin' children: Martial arts practice makes teenagers in China the most well behaved in the world
Martial arts students taking part in Zen Shaolin Grand Ceremony at the foot of Songshan MountainOverlooked by the famous Shaolin Temple, home to Shaolin monks ...
How teens are shunning Facebook in favor of Twitter and Tumblr to avoid peers' oversharing and prying parents' profiles
By Associated Press PUBLISHED: 20:41 GMT, 21 May 2013 | UPDATED: 09:49 GMT, 22 May 2013 Twitter is booming as a social media destination for teenagers who complain about too ...
The management of Arik Air has admitted that two of its crew members were arrested for allegedly possessing banned drugs suspected to be cocaine after ...
Cruel friends killed sheep with hammer then butchered it in field so they could have a free roast dinner
Matthew Davidson, 28, and Kevin Sherratt, 33, admit mutilating the animalThey were caught after sending pictures of the killing to a friendSherratt boasted to the ...
Sexually assaulted and killed three children he was babysitting in 1973David McGreavy requested anonymity saying he feared his life was in dangerWanted to keep identity ...
British basejumper's terror as his parachute fails to open when he leaps off 1,000ft cliff (...but amazingly he escaped with minor injuries)
Matthew Gough, 25, escaped with minor cuts and bruisesHis parachute got twisted on the way down at Lake Garda, Italy'I was in total shock that ...
Abuja — The troops deployed to flush out Boko Haram insurgents from Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states, yesterday, encountered intense resistance from sect members who ...
Lagos — Emotions ran high, Tuesday, at Lagos State Police Command, Ikeja, following startling revelations by suspected members of three syndicates, who specialised in selling ...
Tragic sight of dead horses piled high as farmers return to find 'just scorched earth' after Oklahoma tornado
More than 100 horses feared dead after 200mph twister destroys farmsDead animals found amid piles of debris and tangled in power linesWitnesses describe scene as ...
Dean Parnell, 45, traced the gadget to a house in a neighbouring countyPolice told the stunned solicitor no officer was free to helpWest Midlands Police ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa