Unionisable teachers in the country have threatened to boycott work beginning September 3, if the government fails to start negotiations on new salaries for teachers and implement an increase of their allowances as agreed in 1997.
A Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT) Special National Executive Council meeting resolved on Sunday to give the government seven days notice effective August 21, failure to which they would embark on a nationwide.
Chairman Wilson Sossion said that if no action is taken on salary reviews and allowances, there will be a 'mother of all strikes'.
The seven-day notice has also been served to the Ministry of Labour for what the union terms as discriminatory administrative action by the government.
The teachers' union is demanding a 300 percent salary increase and a 50 percent increase on responsibility allowance.
KNUT Secretary General David Okuta has previously accused the government for taking teachers for a ride.
Education Assistant Minister Ayiecho Olweny told Parliament on Thursday that the Ministry is not aware of the strike, but assured that "once KNUT gives us a strike notice, we will dialogue with them."
It is not clear whether the Ministry of Education will begin negotiations or will await communication from the Salaries and Remuneration Commission, which is mandated to harmonise salaries in the country.
In February, KNUT had proposed a new salary structure that would have seen the teachers' pay reviewed upwards by 300 percent.
Under the proposed structure, KNUT wanted responsibility allowance pegged at 50 percent, 40 percent and 30 percent for principals and head teachers, deputies and senior teachers, and Departmental Heads respectively.
KNUT Secretary General David Okuta took issue with the budget read in June, complaining that the Treasury did not factor in the requirements proposed by the union.
"The government only provided money for the employment of 10,000 new teachers against KNUT's appeal for 40,000 teachers," he said.
Last year, KNUT led a countrywide teachers strike demanding an increase in the number of teachers by up to 20,000. The government agreed to employ on a permanent basis 18,000 teachers who were on contract, and hired an additional 5,000 in January this year as a measure of addressing the teacher shortage in the country.
Copyright © 2012 Capital FM. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
Headlines Newsview all
by Staff reporter 2013 May 24 09:43:40 | 465 Views Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, who has been accused of living an opulent lifestyle that is inconsistent with ...
by Staff reporter 2013 May 24 09:41:57 | 1690 Views Popular radio announcer, Munyaradzi Mlimo showed no emotion as he was sent to remand prison together with ...
The World Bank has unveiled a $1bn (£660m) aid package to help the Democratic Republic of Congo and its neighbours, as fighting continues near the ... Full story
Controversial actress, Judith Afrocandy has announced through her Twitter timeline that before Uche Obodo made the nasty comment that she could act unclad irrespective of ... Full story
Orlando Pirates defender Siyabonga Sangweni has switched his focus to next season as he continues to battle with a knee injury that forced a premature ... Full story
Walmart Photo Center refuses to print photo of mother breastfeeding her baby because it 'violates store's nudity policy'
Walmart has come under fire for refusing to print a photo of mother breastfeeding her baby. As a gift for her first mother's day, Kayla Andre's ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- HOT PHOTOs of S*XY actress NICE GITHINJI
- REDSAN’s Mother HOSPITALISED………The Mater Hospital
- 10 Things you did not know about JULIANI’s LOVER BRENDA WAIRIMU
- PHOTOs of the WEEK ….. LILIAN MULI and her news!!! WOW!!
- (VIDEO) Kiss FM’s LYNDA NYANGWESO speaks out on CYBER BULLYING…..Capital FM
- President UHURU KENYATTA and his aide…. Is he too FAST for them?
- Capital FM’s CESS MUTUNGI cannot handle men with SMALL DING DONG
- Central Kenya POLITICIAN chased away by LOVER at NIGHT in Hurlingham, Nairobi
- Open letter to African ARTISTS……..K-NEL
- Pastor caught having S*X with a MARRIED WOMAN in Kerugoya
- Belmokhtar 'supervised' Niger bombs
- Beach Eagles: Issa Akor turns down invitation
- Professor Green 'injured in road accident'... but still manages to Instagram from the ambulance
- Presidents’ tea girl wants UHURU KENYATTA to pay her dues
- Lightning BURNS 21 year old woman in Migori
- Maseno University lift catches fire
- UK WEATHER:There's a surprise! Showers will spoil the Bank Holiday in coldest spring for 30 years
- Court sentences man to death for robbing a clergyman
- Chaos as JACK and JILL Supermarket is demolished
- Two men who 'tried to get in cockpit during flight from Pakistan to Britain' pictured
- University of Nairobi student SHOT in hostel
- Cannes Film Festival 2013: Izabel Goulart and Karlie Kloss turn on the glamour at premiere of The Immigrant
- A top job at RAILA ODINGA’s ODM party attracts over 40 applicants
- Jack Ranguma sets aside sh500 million for mechanical removal of water hyacinth from Lake Victoria
- Chelsea poised to launch a bid for this goal-machine.
- AMAECHI/JONATHAN: Bayelsa, Rivers chiefs should intervene – Chief Vincent Amadi
- GRIEF: Gang HACKS man to death in Mwingi
- Woolwich murder suspect is probation officer's son who chatted with his neighbours about Jamie Oliver recipes
- Gang ATTACKS couple, RAPES wife and SLASHES husband to death in Githurai
- Canadian Ambassador hails development in Edo
- Amnesty International now tells UHURU/RUTO not to send back REFUGEES to Somalia.
- Police foil lynching of Delta community chairman
- KIMEMIA says Governors are superior to Commissioners and Parliament is powerful than Senate.
- 2 terror suspects MYSTERIOUSLY DISAPPEAR without trace immediately after release in Nairobi.
- Amosun’s wife gives 500 ATM cards to senior citizens
- Zoo worker seriously injured after being mauled by tiger while feeding it in the big cat enclosure
- Senate boosts county allocation by a further Sh 48b as KERROW and MURKOMEN speak
- RUTO assures Kenyans that the Government will enact tough laws AGAINST POACHING
- Amaechi’s re-election free, fair and transparent – Fayemi
- Kema Chikwe calls for support for Jonathan’s second tenure
- Lee Rigby's family saw footage of murder on TV and desperately tried to call him to check he was ok
- Waterloo Road actress Chelsee Healey struggles with her barely there shorts as she joins TOWIE cast for a summer pool party
- Family hails murdered British soldier as “hero”
- Jonathan, others in Addis Ababa for AU Summit
- AYAC: Athletes/coaches blown away by Jonathan’s largesse
- Video: Do we still need real estate agents?
- Nigeria’s SuperSand Eagles lose to Cote d’Ivoire, qualify for semi-finals
- Amanda Bynes' shaved head revealed in mug shot as she heads to court after 'throwing bong out window of high rise apartment during drug arrest'
- C/River tops in martial arts competition
- Osun and value of encyclopaedic electronic tablet
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
24 May 2013 Last updated at 22:12 GMT ...
Reports of 12-mile tailbacks as incident hits Bank Holiday getawayWeather warnings in place across UK as gales sweep the countryHeavy rain showers from London up ...
Pakistan International Airlines passenger plane diverted to StanstedMoD say Typhoon jet launched to 'investigate an incident' Understood incident happened 10 minutes before it was due ...
Woolwich murder suspect is probation officer's son who chatted with his neighbours about Jamie Oliver recipes
Michael Adebowale, 22, named as other suspect in murder of Lee Rigby He and Michael Adebolajo, 28, were shot by police after the attackPair arrested ...
Woman, 24, was seriously injured and taken to Preston Royal Infirmary Was mauled at South Lakes Wild Animal Park in Dalton-in-Furness, CumbriaSuffered serious injuries to ...
Lee Rigby, 25, hit by car on the pavement before being brutally murderedDrummer known as 'Riggers' was 'loving father' to two-year-old son JackHis wife Rebecca ...
24 May 2013 Last updated at 20:01 GMT ...
Stephanie Knight, the 21-year-old cancer victim whose dying wishlist captured the nation's heart, loses her battle with the disease
Stephanie Knight was diagnosed with bone cancer Ewings Sarcoma at 17She found out on New Year's Day that her illness was terminalShe drew up a ...
Hollywood stars at City Hall to advise youngsters on staying out of troubleBoris Johnson reveals he wrote a rap for the Queen's Silver JubileeRap star ...
'They c*** all over the place and p*** all over the field': Councillor's rant about gypsies (says the new man in charge of allocating traveller sites)
David Carr, Tory councillor in Kent, spoke out just days into new roleTravellers should 'learn to live like everyone else,' said former mayor'Why do they ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa