President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan congratulated Alhaji Aliyu Magatakarda Wamakko on his victory in February 18, 2012 governorship elections in Sokoto State.
A statement by the Special Adviser, Media and Publicity, Dr Reuben Abati, said President Jonathan welcomed Alhaji Wamakko's re-election for a second term by a clear majority of registered voters in Sokoto State as "a manifestation of their continued faith in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and their satisfaction with the performance of the Wamakko Administration during his first term in office".
President Jonathan prayed that God Almighty will grant Alhaji Wamakko another successful term of office in the service of the people of Sokoto State and the nation.
Nigeria pledges to support Gulf of Guinea Commission on security
Vice President Namadi Sambo expressed Nigeria's readiness to assist the Gulf of Guinea Commission perform its statutory duties of policing the maritime environment and fight piracy within its Exclusive Economic Zone (ECZ).
Speaking when he received the Commission's Executive Secretary Mr. Miguel Trovoada, on behalf of President Goodluck Jonathan, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, Vice President Sambo said considering the strategic economic significance of the Gulf of Guinea, Nigeria will employ its resources to ensure that the Commission is able to effectively discharge that role to its member states.
The Gulf of Guinea which houses large volume of crude oil, fish and other aquatic elements is not only strategic to member countries but also considered as one of the richest economic zones in the world.
Its richness had in the past drawn the economic interests of countries such as the United States (US), China and the European Union, who at one time or the other volunteered to provide maritime security to police the vast territorial.
The eight member countries include Nigeria, Angola, Cameroun, Congo, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Sao Tome and Principe (only the later was not an oil producing country).
VP Sambo inaugurates Presidential Committee on Restructuring the Police
Vice President Namadi Sambo directed the Nigeria Police Force to redouble its efforts to contain the rising incidence of terrorism, warning that government can no longer tolerate indolence in the Force.
Inaugurating the Presidential Taskforce on the reorganization of the ailing NPF, the Vice President charged the Police to brace up to the "ever increasing tactics and antics of criminals in our society" pointing out that a time has come where the whole Force should be re-examined and re-organized for efficiency and effectiveness.
Vice President Sambo lamented the current state of the Police and the loss of confidence by the Nigerian public on the Force; and warned the Panel that government will no longer tolerate indolence and lack of capacity as excuses for non performance.
Responding the Chairman of the committee, Mr. Parry Osayande, expressed concern that there was no time in the nation's history that the Nigeria Police Force had suffered the kind of indignity as it is currently being witnessed.
Mr Osayande who is also the Chairman of the Police Service Commission, pledged that the panel members would discharge their responsibilities diligently with a view to restoring the lost glory of the Nigeria Police.
FG endorses National Policy on Productivity
The Federal Executive Council (FEC) approved a National Policy on Productivity which captured a vision to harness the productive capacity of Nigerians.
Minister of Information, Labaran Maku disclosed this in company of the Minister for Labour and Productivity, Emeka Wogu at a media briefing on the outcome of the FEC meeting chaired by President Goodluck Jonathan at the State House, Abuja on Wednesday, February 15.
He noted that the policy which is the first for the country came after decades of planning and was approved after a rigorous and exhaustive debate, adding that a National Productivity Day, aside from the May 1st Labour Day, would be celebrated annually with the aim of drawing attention and awareness to national productivity.
He stated that it would be followed with the constitution of a National Council on Productivity to guide its day-to-day implementation using a multi-sectoral approach.
Explaining further, Wogu said the policy would develop the mindset of the citizenry and institutionalize the culture of productivity for the enhancement of service delivery and improvement in the quality of life.
President Jonathan receives regional leaders, mutes national dialogue
President Goodluck Jonathan said the necessity for consensus through a national dialogue informed the setting up of a committee of eminent persons by his administration.
The President spoke while receiving leaders from the South West and South-South geo-political zones, who paid him a courtesy visit.
He said that, "in recognition of the demands by Nigerians for a constitutional amendment, we set up the Justice Belgore Committee to bring up all those issues which have been agreed upon at previous national conferences, for presentation as bills to the National Assembly, and subsequent passage into law, while a larger body will meet on issues that are still controversial for a national consensus".
He thanked the elders for the visit and the support given to his administration in the task of moving Nigeria forward, economically and politically.
Earlier, Chief Edwin Clark leader of the South-South group and Bishop Bolanle Gbonigi, leaders of South-West elders had presented a Communiqué from a meeting held by the two groups at Ikenne, Ogun State to the president for consideration.
Headlines Newsview all
Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, who has been accused of living an opulent lifestyle that is inconsistent with his government salary, has invited corruption busters to ...
Popular radio announcer, Munyaradzi Mlimo showed no emotion as he was sent to remand prison together with his co-accused during an initial remand hearing at ...
The World Bank has unveiled a $1bn (£660m) aid package to help the Democratic Republic of Congo and its neighbours, as fighting continues near the ... Full story
Controversial actress, Judith Afrocandy has announced through her Twitter timeline that before Uche Obodo made the nasty comment that she could act unclad irrespective of ... Full story
Orlando Pirates defender Siyabonga Sangweni has switched his focus to next season as he continues to battle with a knee injury that forced a premature ... Full story
Walmart Photo Center refuses to print photo of mother breastfeeding her baby because it 'violates store's nudity policy'
Walmart has come under fire for refusing to print a photo of mother breastfeeding her baby. As a gift for her first mother's day, Kayla Andre's ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- Suspects In London Attack Are Both Nigerians
- SHOCK as 48-year-old African man claims to be JESUS CHRIST
- Husband catches wife CHEATING while the man tries to escape (VIDEO)
- SHOCKER as daughter marries her MOTHER’s HUSBAND
- Mayhem as man catches sister (12) KISSING TENANT
- Woman bites boyfriend’s P*N*S after he refused to have S*X with her
- Squeezing the most out of your bonds
- PHOTO: Who is doing this to MUSALIA MUDAVADI? Please STOP!!
- Zoo worker has died after being mauled by tiger in front of visitors as she fed it in animal enclosure
- PHOTO of UHURU KENYATTA from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Those rare PHOTOs of unusual HOUSES
- What is wrong with this PHOTO?
- A very rare PHOTO of retired President DANIEL MOI with his entire FAMILY in 1967
- Is this style or what? LOOK at this PHOTO?
- Sorry... we thought you were dead! Death notice blunder left expat's friends grieving for thirty years
- Seven-year-old killed by suicide jumper who plunged on top of her from tenth floor apartment in South Korea
- Proposal before OMERS would require employees to work longer to get full pension
- The 10 types of Kenyan HUSBANDS
- Court grants Atuche, wife time to file no-case application
- For Quebec, Enbridge's pipeline project a no-brainer
- SHOCK as one of the LADIES caught doing it with a DOG is chased out of HOTEL
- MTN project fame season 6 auditions begin
- 18,426 youths from S/South employed under SURE-P scheme – Labour Minister
- Tuface, PSquare,19 others headline Star trek 2013
- Is Chantelle really doing this to J Blessings’ CLIENTS……..SHAME SHAME
- JAMB takes step against exam malpractices
- NGF: Amaechi floors Jonathan
- Nigeria shines at Cannes 2013
- If you don’t have reason for waking up, sleeping becomes interesting – Linus Okorie
- REVEALED!! How MIKE SONKO and JAGUAR met ….Back in the days
- Chief Edwin Clark: Celebrating a Nigerian treasure at 86
- TEEN WORRIES: I'm a boy trapped in a girl's body but my parents won’t talk about it
- Deidre daily drama: Secret sex with son of my dad’s bride ...and I have a boyfriend
- Confirmed!! Classic 105’s LARRY ASEGO wedded SECRETELY on Saturday…….invited guests via SMS
- Large scale cultivation of wee in Northern Regional town causes stir
- Eastern Region: Possible havoc ruled out in Thursday’s earth tremor
- Ghana's spate of lawlessness sky rocketing – Tony Aidoo observes
- African elite have failed us; AU made irrelevant - author
- Police grant bail to five suspects in Ablekuma forced marriage scandal
- PFAG, SEND-Ghana receives $80,000 to improve extension services
- Even Christ didn’t perform miracles as T.B. Joshua – Sheikh Bamehyi
- MTN Ghana Foundation increases investment in ICT facilities
- Midwives shortage hits Ghana - report
- NMC announces new board for state owned media
- Turkey to ban late-night sale of alcohol
- Centre for Policy Research proposes decentralisation of GYEEDA
- Illegal gun manufacturers arrested in Ashanti Region
- Pension Authority to prosecute Employers if...
- Prez Mahama eulogises Chinua Achebe
- Tano North MP says bad roads in the constituency is affecting farming productivity
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
Zoo worker has died after being mauled by tiger in front of visitors as she fed it in animal enclosure
24 year-old woman was mauled at South Lakes Wild Animal Park in CumbriaShe suffered serious injuries to her face and neck in the attack at ...
Sorry... we thought you were dead! Death notice blunder left expat's friends grieving for thirty years
Christine Greenslade and her family moved away from Cornish hometownShe placed an obituary for her mother in Cornish newspaper in 1980The Cornishman printed Christine's name ...
Seven-year-old killed by suicide jumper who plunged on top of her from tenth floor apartment in South Korea
South Korean man jumping off building kills girl after landing on herSeven-year-old died after her neighbour's body hit her on the street By Daily Mail ...
I'M A boy trapped in a girl’s body but my parents won’t talk about it and think I should be happy being a girl. I’m 16 ...
MY DAD is getting married to his fiancée in two months’ time – and they’ve no idea I’ve been having sex with her son, especially ...
Monaco Grand Prix Name: Circuit de Monaco Number of Laps: 78 Track Length: 2.075 miles Race Distance: 161.9 miles Number of times held: 70 Winners from Pole: 26 Full Throttle: 45 per ...
GEORGE GROVES has begged Carl Froch not to deny him a crack at the world title. The Commonwealth super-middleweight champion, 25, takes on Noe Alcoba on ...
MARK CAVENDISH’S hopes of winning the Giro d’Italia points crown were given a huge boost on Friday — by snow. The sprint king was in danger ...
CARL FROCH will say a big thank you to Lennox Lewis if he manages to unify two super-middleweight titles tonight. Froch puts his IBF belt on ...
IAN POULTER admits he is struggling to recapture the form that provided the spark for Europe’s Ryder Cup triumph. And he is not alone as world ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa