The privately-owned newspaper, Daily News has reportedly been banned from circulating in Mashonaland East province's Mutoko and Murehwa areas.
In a front-page story published on 8 March 2012, the newspaper said the ban was allegedly being effected by former ruling party, Zanu-PF supporters who were forcing people to read only state-owned publications. Councilor Shama Kativhu, of Ward 20 in Mutoko said the "thugs" were hostile to all independent newspapers circulating in the areas.
The paper also reported that copies of its newspaper were torn in Kadoma by "identified Zanu PF supporters" after they accused a vendor of selling the newspaper close to a shop owned by a Zanu-PF official. Kadoma is in the Midlands province of Zimbabwe.
Daily News Editor Stanley Gama said he was not surprised by these developments as his newspaper threatened some people in the government especially those to whom the "concepts of democracy and freedom of speech are anathema".
Said Gama: "It is clear that some people are scared of the truth. They are scared of our incisive and balanced reporting and what this means for their backward views and political cultures. The good news is that they will fail in their ill considered mission because Zimbabweans love our papers and they won't allow these anarchists to continue doing this."
Meanwhile, the Zimbabwe Union of Journalists' secretary-general Foster Dongozi has called on politicians to desist from promoting such actions of imposing bans on and tearing of newspaper copies. "We condemn such attacks particularly the one in Kadoma where copies of the Daily News were torn," said Dongozi.
Independent newspapers such as the Daily News are operating lawfully in Zimbabwe and as such the authorities should act against those that are taking the law into their own hands and depriving citizens' of their fundamental right to access alternative information without hindrance from any quarter.
MISA-Zimbabwe calls on the Zimbabwe Media Commission (ZMC), the licensing authority, to get to the bottom of these unlawful acts as mandated under its constitutional obligation to defend media freedom and the citizens' right to freedom of expression.
Headlines Newsview all
United States President Barack Obama will not be visiting Nigeria as recently speculated in the media. Obama and his wife Michelle will only visit Senegal, ...
NELSON Mandela’s daughters are suing him for the rights to his artworks and control of his millions, it has been reported. According to the Star on ... Full story
Carl Pistorius was acquitted of all charges, including culpable homicide and negligent driving, in the Vanderbijlpark Magistrates Court on Tuesday. Pistorius was involved in an accident ...
Controversial actress, Judith Afrocandy has announced through her Twitter timeline that before Uche Obodo made the nasty comment that she could act unclad irrespective of ... Full story
Orlando Pirates defender Siyabonga Sangweni has switched his focus to next season as he continues to battle with a knee injury that forced a premature ... Full story
Walmart Photo Center refuses to print photo of mother breastfeeding her baby because it 'violates store's nudity policy'
Walmart has come under fire for refusing to print a photo of mother breastfeeding her baby. As a gift for her first mother's day, Kayla Andre's ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- New voter registration requirements released
- MDC-T launches its ART
- Zimbabwe's finance assistance request should be directed to Sadc
- MDC-T to embark on confirmation of sitting MPs
- Land reform, indigenisation programmes will never be reversed says Zanu-PF
- DJ Munya's murder case: Suspects demanded US$5,000, Munya's wife had confessed
- HIV positive Harare man arrested for raping 2 daughters and sodomising son
- Zimbabwe prophet, 34, gets 5-year jail term for stealing car from 60 year old Botswana woman
- Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport As Strike Begins
- President Barack Obama Skips Nigeria's Visit
- 42 suspected robbers arrested in Bantama swoop
- Secret police recruitment underway?
- Govt speaks on stampede at T.B. Joshua's Church
- Safety expert calls for heads to roll at ECG
- Education Minister warns heads of schools against illegal fees
- Kumasi shooting: Father of victim prays for killers to repent
- Consar Limited and Michelletti Company limited deny knowing Woyome
- Akyem Swedru MP assures his constituents equitable distribution of resources
- KPMG denies taking part in pink sheet audit
- DOVVSU to investigate forced marriage of 13-year-old girl
- Police identify four bodies in SCOAN stampede
- President reproves ECG over Achimota fire, suspects arson in recent fires
- ECG repairs burnt substation
- Immigration Service ordered to sack officials conniving with foreign ‘galamseyers’
- Korle Bu maternity block resumes work
- Oklahoma tornado 2013: 7 children found drowned in Plaza Towers Elementary school in Moore
- Enyimba on the path of glory
- BEWARE ….. Normal S*X can KILL! Please READ THIS
- Chelsea stop Mikel, Moses from Mexico match
- SHOCK: I caught my husband this morning with our MAID romping in BED
- Trainee accountant's Twitter boast about 'knocking cyclist off his bike' sparks police probe
- For MEN ONLY: Do you like what you see?????
- Teens sharing more on social media, moving to Twitter
- Ogidi building materials market, school shut in honour of Achebe
- Mark Carney warns Europe of lost decade in final speech as BoC chief
- Nigeria to free 'terror' women
- Eddie Braben dies: Morecambe and Wise scriptwriter dead at 82
- Oklahoma tornado 2013: Moore family of four die, including their baby
- If you missed that LUHYA guy in Nairobi talking about OBAMA snubbing Kenya (Watch VIDEO)
- Poor hedgehog inflates to TWICE its normal size after getting air trapped under skin while suffering from rare condition
- Musician’s top goes off while singing exposing 1 B00B (Watch VIDEO)
- Jonathan orders release of detained suspected terrorists
- George Michael 'was lucky he didn't die' says driver who nearly ran singer over on the M1
- PHOTO from WILLIAM RUTO’s meeting with players in the Trade Industry
- G4S boss Nick Buckles quits after overseeing Olympic security 'humiliating shambles'
- PHOTO of President UHURU KENYATTA mingling with Kenyans at KARATINA
- Final picture of Pistorius and the girlfriend he shot dead shows smiling Reeva days before her death and the pet monkey 'they both adored'
- 'If my son was a dog, I'd have him put down': Mother whose son suffers from ADHD says that unlike pet owners she has no choice but to put up with his violence
- Here are City Council of Nairobi BY LAWS that you MUST READ
- Canadian economy can’t keep relying on consumer borrowing: Mark Carney
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
Two entire schools flattened in Moore, Oklahoma after 200 mph winds pulverized a 30-square-mile stretch yesterdayOfficials originally said there were as many as 91 people ...
Twitter user EmmaWay20 bragged about collision with cyclist in Norwich'I have right of way he doesn't even pay road tax!' the post addedToby Hockley, 29, ...
21 May 2013 Last updated at 18:03 GMT ...
Eddie Braben started off in the industry by selling the odd joke to comedians He later worked with Ken Dodd, Ronnie Corbett and Morecambe and ...
Family's death is one of many tragic stories to emerge from devastation of Oklahoma tornado24 have been confirmed dead, including seven children at Plaza Towers ...
Poor hedgehog inflates to TWICE its normal size after getting air trapped under skin while suffering from rare condition
Poorly hedgehog found swollen and unable to move by member of the publicVets spotted a trapped air pocket underneath its skin on X-rays 'Balloon syndrome' ...
Katherine Fox, 23, skidded to a halt as singer tumbled onto carriagewayStar's Adidas tracksuit was ripped and trainers and sunglasses torn offShe said: 'There was ...
Shares rise as chief executive resigns from £1.2million jobArmy was called in after G4S failed to recruit guards for London 2012Company due to provide security ...
Final picture of Pistorius and the girlfriend he shot dead shows smiling Reeva days before her death and the pet monkey 'they both adored'
Four days later, Reeva would be dead and Pistorius accused of her murderFriend Christo Menelaou said: 'He was tickling her. They were best friends'Says the ...
'If my son was a dog, I'd have him put down': Mother whose son suffers from ADHD says that unlike pet owners she has no choice but to put up with his violence
Jenny Young has 4 children and all suffer with the behavioural disorder Youngest son Ryan, 10, suffers with ADHD and severe learning disabilitiesThe full-time mother ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa