By Amanda Perthen
PUBLISHED: 18:54 EST, 26 January 2013 | UPDATED: 08:51 EST, 27 January 2013
Richard Graham, MP for Gloucester, pictured, has sparked outrage for saying that women put themselves at risk of rape by dressing provocatively
A Tory MP has come under fire for saying that women are putting themselves at risk of rape by wearing short skirts and high heels.
Richard Graham’s comments sparked outrage among women’s groups, who insist that if a woman becomes a victim of rape it is not because of her dress style.
Mr Graham, who in the past likened a night out in his constituency city of Gloucester to ‘decadent Rome’, said: ‘A night out is about having fun without putting yourself at risk.
‘If you are a young woman on her own trying to walk back home through a park early in the morning in a tight, short skirt and high shoes, and there’s a predator . . . if you are blind drunk wearing those clothes how able are you to get away?
‘Although we have a pretty heavy police presence, life doesn’t give you full protection from a predator all the time. You have got to help look after yourself as well.
‘It’s not about the impact of your clothes on a potential predator in my view – it’s about whether the clothes you’re wearing make it harder to get away from a predator.’
Mr Graham’s comments come just days after actress Joanna Lumley said women should dress demurely to avoid being ‘raped or robbed’.
Speaking at a Marks & Spencer campaign launch last week, Ms Lumley said: ‘Don’t look like trash, don’t get drunk, don’t be sick down your front, don’t break your heels and stagger about in the wrong clothes at midnight. This is bad.
‘I promise it is better to look after yourself properly . . . don’t be sick in the gutter at midnight in a silly dress with no money to get a taxi home because somebody will take advantage of you – either rape you, or they’ll knock you on the head or they’ll rob you.’
But the MP’s comments provoked anger from charities.
The MP's comments have provoked anger among women's groups, who insist that if a woman becomes a victim of rape, if is not because of her dress style
A spokeswoman for Gloucestershire Rape Crisis Centre said rape was the crime, not drunkenness, and that the offence was ‘stimulated by desire for power and to humiliate and degrade’.
The spokeswoman added: ‘It’s got nothing to do with how you are dressed or whether you are drunk.’
The actress Joanna Lumley, pictured, came under fire recently for saying that women should dress demurely to avoid 'being raped or robbed'
Jo Wood, a trustee of Rape Crisis England and Wales, said: ‘These comments have set us back about 100 years.
'It doesn’t matter if you are off your face and lying naked on a bench – that man takes it upon himself to rape you.
‘This should be about putting the blame back on perpetrators.’
Vivienne Hayes, of the Women’s Resource Centre, added: ‘Such comments frighteningly normalise victim-blaming.
‘They reallocate blame from the perpetrator to the victim.
'The problem is not female vulnerability but a macho culture which produces the notion of male entitlement – a culture which consistently fails women through disbelief, victim-blaming and failure to investigate.’
Chief Inspector Richard Burge, of Gloucestershire Police, agreed being drunk could put people at risk.
He said: ‘We would appeal to everyone not to drink so much that you don’t know what’s happening.
‘Excessive alcohol can make you vulnerable so stay with friends and if you are with a friend, try to look out for them too.’
The Liberal Democrat MP who sparked outrage for saying ‘the Jews’ had not learned from the murder of six million in the Holocaust apologised last night.
Bradford MP David Ward said he was sorry for any ‘unintended offence’.
Headlines Newsview all
Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, who has been accused of living an opulent lifestyle that is inconsistent with his government salary, has invited corruption busters to ...
Popular radio announcer, Munyaradzi Mlimo showed no emotion as he was sent to remand prison together with his co-accused during an initial remand hearing at ...
The World Bank has unveiled a $1bn (£660m) aid package to help the Democratic Republic of Congo and its neighbours, as fighting continues near the ... Full story
Controversial actress, Judith Afrocandy has announced through her Twitter timeline that before Uche Obodo made the nasty comment that she could act unclad irrespective of ... Full story
Orlando Pirates defender Siyabonga Sangweni has switched his focus to next season as he continues to battle with a knee injury that forced a premature ... Full story
Walmart Photo Center refuses to print photo of mother breastfeeding her baby because it 'violates store's nudity policy'
Walmart has come under fire for refusing to print a photo of mother breastfeeding her baby. As a gift for her first mother's day, Kayla Andre's ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- Suspects In London Attack Are Both Nigerians
- SHOCK as 48-year-old African man claims to be JESUS CHRIST
- Husband catches wife CHEATING while the man tries to escape (VIDEO)
- SHOCKER as daughter marries her MOTHER’s HUSBAND
- Mayhem as man catches sister (12) KISSING TENANT
- Woman bites boyfriend’s P*N*S after he refused to have S*X with her
- Squeezing the most out of your bonds
- PHOTO: Who is doing this to MUSALIA MUDAVADI? Please STOP!!
- Zoo worker has died after being mauled by tiger in front of visitors as she fed it in animal enclosure
- PHOTO of UHURU KENYATTA from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Those rare PHOTOs of unusual HOUSES
- What is wrong with this PHOTO?
- A very rare PHOTO of retired President DANIEL MOI with his entire FAMILY in 1967
- Is this style or what? LOOK at this PHOTO?
- Sorry... we thought you were dead! Death notice blunder left expat's friends grieving for thirty years
- Seven-year-old killed by suicide jumper who plunged on top of her from tenth floor apartment in South Korea
- Proposal before OMERS would require employees to work longer to get full pension
- The 10 types of Kenyan HUSBANDS
- Court grants Atuche, wife time to file no-case application
- For Quebec, Enbridge's pipeline project a no-brainer
- SHOCK as one of the LADIES caught doing it with a DOG is chased out of HOTEL
- MTN project fame season 6 auditions begin
- 18,426 youths from S/South employed under SURE-P scheme – Labour Minister
- Tuface, PSquare,19 others headline Star trek 2013
- Is Chantelle really doing this to J Blessings’ CLIENTS……..SHAME SHAME
- JAMB takes step against exam malpractices
- NGF: Amaechi floors Jonathan
- Nigeria shines at Cannes 2013
- If you don’t have reason for waking up, sleeping becomes interesting – Linus Okorie
- REVEALED!! How MIKE SONKO and JAGUAR met ….Back in the days
- Chief Edwin Clark: Celebrating a Nigerian treasure at 86
- TEEN WORRIES: I'm a boy trapped in a girl's body but my parents won’t talk about it
- Deidre daily drama: Secret sex with son of my dad’s bride ...and I have a boyfriend
- Confirmed!! Classic 105’s LARRY ASEGO wedded SECRETELY on Saturday…….invited guests via SMS
- Large scale cultivation of wee in Northern Regional town causes stir
- Eastern Region: Possible havoc ruled out in Thursday’s earth tremor
- Ghana's spate of lawlessness sky rocketing – Tony Aidoo observes
- African elite have failed us; AU made irrelevant - author
- Police grant bail to five suspects in Ablekuma forced marriage scandal
- PFAG, SEND-Ghana receives $80,000 to improve extension services
- Even Christ didn’t perform miracles as T.B. Joshua – Sheikh Bamehyi
- MTN Ghana Foundation increases investment in ICT facilities
- Midwives shortage hits Ghana - report
- NMC announces new board for state owned media
- Turkey to ban late-night sale of alcohol
- Centre for Policy Research proposes decentralisation of GYEEDA
- Illegal gun manufacturers arrested in Ashanti Region
- Pension Authority to prosecute Employers if...
- Prez Mahama eulogises Chinua Achebe
- Tano North MP says bad roads in the constituency is affecting farming productivity
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
Zoo worker has died after being mauled by tiger in front of visitors as she fed it in animal enclosure
24 year-old woman was mauled at South Lakes Wild Animal Park in CumbriaShe suffered serious injuries to her face and neck in the attack at ...
Sorry... we thought you were dead! Death notice blunder left expat's friends grieving for thirty years
Christine Greenslade and her family moved away from Cornish hometownShe placed an obituary for her mother in Cornish newspaper in 1980The Cornishman printed Christine's name ...
Seven-year-old killed by suicide jumper who plunged on top of her from tenth floor apartment in South Korea
South Korean man jumping off building kills girl after landing on herSeven-year-old died after her neighbour's body hit her on the street By Daily Mail ...
I'M A boy trapped in a girl’s body but my parents won’t talk about it and think I should be happy being a girl. I’m 16 ...
MY DAD is getting married to his fiancée in two months’ time – and they’ve no idea I’ve been having sex with her son, especially ...
Monaco Grand Prix Name: Circuit de Monaco Number of Laps: 78 Track Length: 2.075 miles Race Distance: 161.9 miles Number of times held: 70 Winners from Pole: 26 Full Throttle: 45 per ...
GEORGE GROVES has begged Carl Froch not to deny him a crack at the world title. The Commonwealth super-middleweight champion, 25, takes on Noe Alcoba on ...
MARK CAVENDISH’S hopes of winning the Giro d’Italia points crown were given a huge boost on Friday — by snow. The sprint king was in danger ...
CARL FROCH will say a big thank you to Lennox Lewis if he manages to unify two super-middleweight titles tonight. Froch puts his IBF belt on ...
IAN POULTER admits he is struggling to recapture the form that provided the spark for Europe’s Ryder Cup triumph. And he is not alone as world ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa