RICHEST AFRICANS

0out of 5

Drug Law Enforcement Apprehends Suspect with N27m Drugs

by 21/08/2012 03:04:00 3 comments 850 Views
Drug Law Enforcement Apprehends Suspect with N27m Drugs

Spotlight

Grandmother Conceals 1.740 Kilograms of Cocaine in Syrup

Lagos — The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) said yesterday that it arrested a 65 year-old grandmother, Hassan Fatimat Abike, also known as Chika

28/09/2012 05:06:00

5 Cops Arrested for Unethical Dressing

Five riot policemen have been arrested for “unethical practices.” They were arrested along various highways on the orders of the Commissioner of Police in charge of

20/08/2012 02:35:00

CAR Massacre Suspect David Simpson Wants to Be Freed

A man who returned from imprisonment in Africa after being suspected of involvement in a massacre said he wants to go back "to the same

11/09/2012 02:52:00

Female Banker's Partner to Face Murder Trial

For allegedly having a hand in the gruesome killing of the wife of staffer of a new generation bank in Aba, Abia State, a man

20/08/2012 02:44:00

Dr. Sid Admits to Being Involved in Threesome

One man, who has left fans and close pals wondering in the last few days after his decision to answer few questions from fans on

20/08/2012 02:37:00

Officers of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency have apprehended a 26-year-old man in connection with 8.5kg of methamphetamine concealed inside metal pipes.

The suspect, Afunaya Thaddeus Izunna, who sells phone accessories at Ikeja, Lagos, was found to be in possession of the narcotic drug during the screening of passengers on an Ethiopian airline flight to New Delhi, India at the weekend.

The drug, worth N27 million, was discovered when anti-narcotic officers insisted on searching the metal pipes inside his luggage.

The NDLEA Airport Commander, Hamza Umar, said that the drug, with a total weight of 8.5kg, is one of the highest seizures recently recorded at the Lagos airport.

Hamza said: “This is one of the largest seizures recorded at the Lagos airport in recent time.

“It was a clever mode of concealment but I am glad we were able to detect it and the suspect apprehended.

“The case is under investigation.”

According to the suspect, who is married with two children, his role in the criminal act was to deliver the drug.

Izunna said: “I am a trader.

“I sell phone accessories at Ikeja to take care of my wife and two children.

“It was a friend that gave me the metal pipes that I should take them to India for a fee.

“I did not know when, how and where it was packed.

“I was only given the bag containing the pipes.

“Unfortunately, when I got to the airport during screening, NDLEA officers discovered the drug and I was arrested.

“This is my first time of smuggling drugs.

“I hope my wife will understand and forgive me.”

Izunna hails from Anambra State.

The Chairman/Chief Executive of the NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade, expressed delight over the arrest and seizure, describing it as a good signal.

Giade said: “This is a spectacular seizure because the drug was carefully concealed in a way that makes detection difficult.

“The significance is that a warning signal has been sent to the enemy camp that one of their best tricks is not good enough.

“This has been my position and order to the officers that drugs should be intercepted regardless of the mode of concealment.”

The suspect will soon be charged to court.