Trending news

PreviousNext
Home | News | Dozens Killed In Nigeria Bus Station Bomb Blasts

Dozens Killed In Nigeria Bus Station Bomb Blasts

By // News

 A suicide bomber targeting luxury buses full of passengers detonated a car bomb at a busy motor park in Kano yesterday, killing dozens of people and injuring many others.

The blasts happened along New Road in Sabon Gari, shortly after 5pm when luxury buses were preparing to travel to other parts of the country.

Witnesses said at least five luxury buses that were hit by the explosions were completely destroyed.

Survivors told our correspondent that a suicide bomber drove a Volkswagen Golf car into the motor park, meant for passengers traveling to the southern part of the country, and rammed into a Lagos-bound bus which was driving out of the park with dozens of passengers on board.

The resulting explosion destroyed the vehicle and set fire to others within the vicinity. There were reports of a second explosion soon after the first one.

Witnesses said many passengers, park attendants and hawkers were caught in the explosions and were burnt beyond recognition, while many others sustained various degrees of injuries.

There were conflicting figures of the dead yesterday, with some witnesses saying as many as 60 people were killed.

President of the Ohaneze Ndigbo in Kano State, Chief Tobias Micheal Idika, who said he arrived at the scene immediately after the blast, put the casualty figure at over 60.

"I counted over 60 dead bodies and up till now bodies are being removed," he said.

'Confusion'

A female survivor Fatima Abdullahi, who was on a business trip to Port Harcourt, told Daily Trust she saw many bodies on the ground after the explosion.

"We could see people engulfed in flames inside other buses just before our own also caught fire," she said

"The police later started evacuating the dead ones in carts and placing them in vehicles. All the passengers in the first bus perished, as well as other people on the ground, including the attendants that sold ticket to me."

She added that all her luggage and those of her would-be co-travellers were completely destroyed by the resulting fire.

Another witness, Ibrahim Bello, was quoted by Al Jazeera as saying: "I ran for my dear life and managed to get out of the park after the second blast. Many people are lying dead. See, my clothes are covered in blood."

A medic quoted in agency reports also said: "I saw three buses on fire. One of them was fully loaded with passengers waiting to leave the station at the time of the blasts."

A security source confirmed witness accounts of the incident, saying five luxury buses were burnt and scores of passengers killed.

He said at least 20 dead bodies had been counted while many others were trapped in the burning buses.

A mechanic, Tunde Kazeem, who works at the motor park, said the explosion was "followed by billows of black smoke and there was a lot of confusion with people rushing out of the motor park, some of them with blood on their clothes."

Another security official told Daily Trust that up to 80 passengers were on board one of the affected vehicles and that probably less than 10 of them survived.

He said the casualty level in the attack was the highest after the coordinated attacks in Kano on January 20 last year in which at least 180 people were killed.

Many of the victims were taken to various hospitals within Kano metropolis, including the Armed Forces Hospital, Murtala Mohammed Specialist Hospital (MMSH), Infectious Diseases Hospital (IDH) and others.

At the MMSH our correspondent counted four severely burnt bodies being moved to the morgue, while dozens of injured people, including women, were being treated at the accident and emergency wing. Many relations of the victims thronged the hospital crying.

A neighbour to one of the victims told our correspondent that his friend, who was a mechanic, had gone to the garage to work when the incident occurred, leaving him with an injured leg.

Spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency, Yushau Shuaib, said: "Rescuers and security personnel are yet to determine the source of explosions that occurred this evening at a motor park. While casualty figures are not available at the moment, the seriously injured have been taken to hospital and bodies evacuated."

No group has claimed responsibility for yesterday's attack up to the time of filing this report last night. But suspicion is likely to fall on the insurgent group that claimed previous deadly strikes in Kano.

Last year, an explosion of smaller magnitude at the same park left some people dead and others injured.

Meanwhile, security agents have cordoned off the scene of the attack, even as Daily Trust gathered that flames from the blast were yet to be put out by nightfall.

When contacted last night, spokesman for the Joint Task Force in Kano, Captain Ikedichi Iweha, said security agencies and emergency workers were still battling to put out the fire at the scene and evacuate remaining victims to hospital.

He said the casualty figure could only be released after he got figures from hospitals where the affected persons were taken to. "We have not been able to go round the hospitals to count the people affected, but the figure is not as high as people are speculating," he said.

Jonathan condemns blasts

Meanwhile, President Goodluck Jonathan has condemned, in strong terms, the blasts in Kano.

In a statement, Presidential spokesman Reuben Abati quoted the president as saying the barbaric incident would not deter the Federal Government from its strong-willed determination to overcome those who do not mean well for the nation.

He said that the Federal Government would not be stampeded into abandoning its unrelenting war against terrorists in the country. The president reassured Nigerians and foreigners in the country that government would do the needful to ensure the safety of lives and property.

He said that government would continue to collaborate with local and international partners and stakeholders to check the menace of terrorism.

Do you have a story that you would like us to publish? Send it to story@africanseer.com

Tagged as:

Nigerian Bombings

AfricanSeer Articles

Write Your Comment

Nigerian Movies

TOP STORIES EXTRA

Robert Mugabe: An African Head of State and the State of an African Head

The political personality and historical project of Robert Mugabe is bound to arrest the attention of thinkers and writers for a long time to come.
Robert Mugabe: An African Head of State and the State of an African Head

Ghana to launch space satellite

Ghana is to launch a space satellite in the next five years near the Equator for earth observation. To be flagged under the name Ghana Satellite
Ghana to launch space satellite

West Africa: 'Ebola Outbreak Far from Over' - MSF

[MSF]Three months after MSF called for states with biological-disaster response capacity to urgently dispatch human and material resources in response to the Ebola outbreak in
West Africa: 'Ebola Outbreak Far from Over' - MSF

MOSES KURIA Admits To Sniffing Millie Odhiambo Panties In

After claims made that Gatundu MP Moses Kuria revealed to have been sexually assaulted by one Moses Kuria alongside other TNA MPs during last evening’s
MOSES KURIA Admits To Sniffing Millie Odhiambo Panties In

Stop Test Running Your Love Life On Social Media……John Dumelo Warns

Ghanaian actor, John Dumelo, has called on people that display the pictures of their spouse on social media to be careful has they keep giving
Stop Test Running Your Love Life On Social Media……John Dumelo Warns

Ibinabo Fiberesima Weds Uche Egbuka [PHOTOS]

Nollywood actress Ibinabo Fiberesima has married her fiance, Uche Egbuka. Fiberesima, who is the president of the Actors Guild of Nigeria, wed Egbuka in a traditional
Ibinabo Fiberesima Weds Uche Egbuka [PHOTOS]

Regina Askia And Family Mark Her 47th Birthday In A Special Way (Pictures)

It was a special time for former Nollywood actress and beauty queen Regina Askia Williams and her family as she turned 47 recently. The ex-screen diva
Regina Askia And Family Mark Her 47th Birthday In A Special Way (Pictures)

Photos: Stephanie Okereke-Linus Premieres Her Movie, Dry, In UK

The latest movie of Nollywood Actress Stephanie- Okereke Linus, 'Dry' received a resounding applause from over 150 guests, movie enthusiasts and critics who attended its
Photos: Stephanie Okereke-Linus Premieres Her Movie, Dry, In UK

Mugabe's target survives

JUSTICE, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs Deputy Minister, Fortune Chasi, whose political career had been shaken long before the wholesale purges in the ruling Zanu-PF started
Mugabe's target survives

Zimbabwe: Central Bank Introduces Local Coins

[The Herald]Happiness Zengeni -Banks will today start circulating the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe's imported bond coins, in a move expected to ease the problem of
Zimbabwe: Central Bank Introduces Local Coins

Zimbabwe: Patients in Danger As ARVs Run Out

[New Zimbabwe]MORE than half a million people living with HIV and Aids are in danger as the public hospitals countrywide are experiencing shortages of the
Zimbabwe: Patients in Danger As ARVs Run Out

Floyd Mayweather has nowhere else to run, claims Manny Pacquiao

Manny Pacquiao claims Floyd Mayweather has to fight him Pacquiao tweeted that they should give fans the fight they want Mayweather has said he will take on
Floyd Mayweather has nowhere else to run, claims Manny Pacquiao

Mother who tried to kill her three children could have suffered a 'psychotic break over pregnancy'

Ebony Wilkerson was ruled not guilty for reason of insanity in the attempted murder of her three children last week Wilkerson tried to drive her children
Mother who tried to kill her three children could have suffered a 'psychotic break over pregnancy'

Woman finds the adorable note she wrote to the Tooth Fairy when she was nine

After Jenny, who goes by the Reddit name Judokitten, posted the letter on Monday it got nearly 6,000 points and thousands of comments in response 'My
Woman finds the adorable note she wrote to the Tooth Fairy when she was nine

I Never Walked out Of The Headies…….Wizkid Denies

As against viral reports which are still trending around the blogosphere had it that singer, Wizkid, left the Headies awards angrily because there was no
I Never Walked out Of The Headies…….Wizkid Denies

I Don’t Have Time For Women Now—Wizkid’s Boy, Lax

Star Boy artiste, Damilola Afolabi, aka Lax, has disclosed that he will not compromise his music for any relationship. The singer noted that he is determined
I Don’t Have Time For Women Now—Wizkid’s Boy, Lax

Jilted lover defecates at ex-girlfriend's doorstep

A jilted man defecated at his ex-girlfriend's doorstep in protest over her decision to reunite with her husband, the Harare Civil Court heard yesterday. Beauty Mapungure
Jilted lover defecates at ex-girlfriend's doorstep

‘How I bought human head for N12,500′

A human parts merchant, identified as Olorunto Dipe, aged 35, currently in the custody of Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS, Lagos State Police Command, has explained
‘How I bought human head for N12,500′

S Leone houses searched for Ebola

Sierra Leone has had more Ebola cases than any other Sierra Leone is due to mount house-to-house searches in the capital Freetown to find hidden cases
S Leone houses searched for Ebola
Go Up!