Despite the alleged declaration of independence, hoisting of flag and coat of arms by the Bakassi people in Cross River State, the federal government appears unperturbed, keeping mum over the matter, even as tension and uncertainty appear to have enveloped the state with political leaders engaging in crucial deliberation of the crisis.
When THISDAY contacted the Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, on the federal government's position on the matter, he was not available for comment.
But the Minister of Interior, Comrade Abba Moro, while speaking with THISDAY in a telephone chat Saturday night, described the Bakassi issue as a thorny and very topical one which has a lot to do with Nigeria's standing in the international community.
"You are aware of the ICJ ruling that Bakassi is supposed to be ceded to Cameroon. However, there issues that must be considered; the first one is that there has to be a legislation to that effect making it legal and constitutional, which I think as at the moment has not been done. Secondly, there has to be acceptance of the rule by the people of Bakassi Local Government Area to be part of Cameroon. Most importantly, this is a constitutional matter because Bakassi LGA is part of the 774 LGAs in the country and ceding any part of the country has to follow constitutional procedure by legislation."
In his reaction to the development, Governor Liyel Imoke of Cross River State said his government had briefed the presidency on the development as he appealed to the protesters to be peaceful and law-abiding in pursuing their legitimate rights for justice.
"In the circumstance, it's only dialogue that can resolve the issues and that is why I'm appealing to my people to give dialogue a chance in the matter as they pursue justice," he said.
According to Imoke, "the state government has briefed the federal government. The governor, along with members of the National Assembly from the state, has met with Aso Rock and had given their own suggestions on how the matter can be resolved."
Imoke's appeal is however coming as the House of Representatives weekend called on President Goodluck Jonathan to appeal the verdict of the ICJ before October 10, when the period allowed for such an appeal will expire, saying if the Nigerian government fails to appeal within the first 10 years allowed, it would be deemed that it has accepted the verdict and would no more question the decision of the World Court any longer.
Making the call in Calabar, members of the House Committee on Treaties and Agreement who were on a fact-finding visit to the state advised Jonathan, to as a matter of urgent national interest, appeal the verdict before the expiration of its deadline, saying Nigeria would have nothing to argue again over Bakassi in future if the advice was not heeded.
Chairman of the committee, Hon. Yacoub Bush Alebiosu, said in an interview that it was necessary that such an appeal be entered to forestall any breakdown of law and order at the peninsula given the declaration of independence by some natives of the territory following Nigerian government's seeming indifference to their plight.
He explained that though their visit was to afford them the opportunity of first-hand information on the Bakassi issue instead of relying on hear-say, it was necessary that the federal government be told what to do, given that the law allows for appeal of the ICJ judgement within the first 10 years of the verdict.
Alebiosu said with the facts already gathered, the committee will be in a position to make strong recommendations to the House of Representatives on the matter when the National Assembly resumes from recess, adding that Nigeria has signed over 240 Treaties and Agreements so far and that for any to be enforced, it must be domesticated.
A member of the committee, Hon. Ifeoluwa Arowosoge, in his remarks said despite the fact that the House was on recess, the president should still seize the initiative by exploring all the legal options open to Nigeria by appealing the verdict of the ICJ against the self determination of the people of Bakassi before October 10.
He described the ceding of Bakassi as a calamity of a democratic regime, stressing that failure to appeal will automatically mean accepting the unjust judgment of the ICJ on Nigeria but however promised Cross River State that the committee will be on the part of the law for the sovereignty of the country.
THISDAY checks revealed that Bakassi indigenes resorted to the declaration owing to the neglect they have suffered from the federal government.
According a source who pleaded anonymity, "Given the ill-treatment the Bakassi people have received from the federal government, mostly by ceding them to Cameroon, they have the right to self-rule and actualisation."
Additional Reporters , Senator Iroegbu and Paul Obi
Copyright © 2012 This Day. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
Headlines Newsview all
Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, who has been accused of living an opulent lifestyle that is inconsistent with his government salary, has invited corruption busters to ...
Popular radio announcer, Munyaradzi Mlimo showed no emotion as he was sent to remand prison together with his co-accused during an initial remand hearing at ...
The World Bank has unveiled a $1bn (£660m) aid package to help the Democratic Republic of Congo and its neighbours, as fighting continues near the ... Full story
Controversial actress, Judith Afrocandy has announced through her Twitter timeline that before Uche Obodo made the nasty comment that she could act unclad irrespective of ... Full story
Orlando Pirates defender Siyabonga Sangweni has switched his focus to next season as he continues to battle with a knee injury that forced a premature ... Full story
Walmart Photo Center refuses to print photo of mother breastfeeding her baby because it 'violates store's nudity policy'
Walmart has come under fire for refusing to print a photo of mother breastfeeding her baby. As a gift for her first mother's day, Kayla Andre's ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- Bulawayo24 News
- SHOCK as 48-year-old African man claims to be JESUS CHRIST
- Husband catches wife CHEATING while the man tries to escape (VIDEO)
- SHOCKER as daughter marries her MOTHER’s HUSBAND
- Mayhem as man catches sister (12) KISSING TENANT
- Woman bites boyfriend’s P*N*S after he refused to have S*X with her
- Squeezing the most out of your bonds
- PHOTO: Who is doing this to MUSALIA MUDAVADI? Please STOP!!
- Zoo worker has died after being mauled by tiger in front of visitors as she fed it in animal enclosure
- PHOTO of UHURU KENYATTA from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Those rare PHOTOs of unusual HOUSES
- What is wrong with this PHOTO?
- A very rare PHOTO of retired President DANIEL MOI with his entire FAMILY in 1967
- Is this style or what? LOOK at this PHOTO?
- Sorry... we thought you were dead! Death notice blunder left expat's friends grieving for thirty years
- Seven-year-old killed by suicide jumper who plunged on top of her from tenth floor apartment in South Korea
- Proposal before OMERS would require employees to work longer to get full pension
- The 10 types of Kenyan HUSBANDS
- Court grants Atuche, wife time to file no-case application
- For Quebec, Enbridge's pipeline project a no-brainer
- SHOCK as one of the LADIES caught doing it with a DOG is chased out of HOTEL
- MTN project fame season 6 auditions begin
- 18,426 youths from S/South employed under SURE-P scheme – Labour Minister
- Tuface, PSquare,19 others headline Star trek 2013
- Is Chantelle really doing this to J Blessings’ CLIENTS……..SHAME SHAME
- JAMB takes step against exam malpractices
- NGF: Amaechi floors Jonathan
- Nigeria shines at Cannes 2013
- If you don’t have reason for waking up, sleeping becomes interesting – Linus Okorie
- REVEALED!! How MIKE SONKO and JAGUAR met ….Back in the days
- Chief Edwin Clark: Celebrating a Nigerian treasure at 86
- TEEN WORRIES: I'm a boy trapped in a girl's body but my parents won’t talk about it
- Deidre daily drama: Secret sex with son of my dad’s bride ...and I have a boyfriend
- Confirmed!! Classic 105’s LARRY ASEGO wedded SECRETELY on Saturday…….invited guests via SMS
- Large scale cultivation of wee in Northern Regional town causes stir
- Eastern Region: Possible havoc ruled out in Thursday’s earth tremor
- Ghana's spate of lawlessness sky rocketing – Tony Aidoo observes
- African elite have failed us; AU made irrelevant - author
- Police grant bail to five suspects in Ablekuma forced marriage scandal
- PFAG, SEND-Ghana receives $80,000 to improve extension services
- Even Christ didn’t perform miracles as T.B. Joshua – Sheikh Bamehyi
- MTN Ghana Foundation increases investment in ICT facilities
- Midwives shortage hits Ghana - report
- NMC announces new board for state owned media
- Turkey to ban late-night sale of alcohol
- Centre for Policy Research proposes decentralisation of GYEEDA
- Illegal gun manufacturers arrested in Ashanti Region
- Pension Authority to prosecute Employers if...
- Prez Mahama eulogises Chinua Achebe
- Tano North MP says bad roads in the constituency is affecting farming productivity
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
Zoo worker has died after being mauled by tiger in front of visitors as she fed it in animal enclosure
24 year-old woman was mauled at South Lakes Wild Animal Park in CumbriaShe suffered serious injuries to her face and neck in the attack at ...
Sorry... we thought you were dead! Death notice blunder left expat's friends grieving for thirty years
Christine Greenslade and her family moved away from Cornish hometownShe placed an obituary for her mother in Cornish newspaper in 1980The Cornishman printed Christine's name ...
Seven-year-old killed by suicide jumper who plunged on top of her from tenth floor apartment in South Korea
South Korean man jumping off building kills girl after landing on herSeven-year-old died after her neighbour's body hit her on the street By Daily Mail ...
I'M A boy trapped in a girl’s body but my parents won’t talk about it and think I should be happy being a girl. I’m 16 ...
MY DAD is getting married to his fiancée in two months’ time – and they’ve no idea I’ve been having sex with her son, especially ...
Monaco Grand Prix Name: Circuit de Monaco Number of Laps: 78 Track Length: 2.075 miles Race Distance: 161.9 miles Number of times held: 70 Winners from Pole: 26 Full Throttle: 45 per ...
GEORGE GROVES has begged Carl Froch not to deny him a crack at the world title. The Commonwealth super-middleweight champion, 25, takes on Noe Alcoba on ...
MARK CAVENDISH’S hopes of winning the Giro d’Italia points crown were given a huge boost on Friday — by snow. The sprint king was in danger ...
CARL FROCH will say a big thank you to Lennox Lewis if he manages to unify two super-middleweight titles tonight. Froch puts his IBF belt on ...
IAN POULTER admits he is struggling to recapture the form that provided the spark for Europe’s Ryder Cup triumph. And he is not alone as world ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa