Abuja — Arrests 3, recovers large cache of arms
Working on the theory that members of the violent Islamic sect Boko Haram might be planning attacks ahead of the forthcoming Eid- fitr (end of Ramadan fast) celebration, the Joint Military Task Force (JTF) and State Security Service (SSS) Saturday carried out pre-emptive attacks on some hide-outs of the sect members in Kano.
In the process, JTF discovered a bomb-making factory.
The force arrested at least three persons and also recovered 33 Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) with over 739 rounds of ammunition.
A similar raid by the force in Maiduguri and Jere council areas of Borno State on Thursday had also led to the recovery of large arms and ammunition.
Kano State Director of SSS, Mr. Bassey Eteng, told journalists at the Third Brigade Headquarters, Nigerian Army in Kano, that three suspects were arrested in the raid carried out on Saturday morning.
Eteng said the operation of the JTF where members of the group were arrested led to the discovery of the bomb factory.
He said those arrested had confessed to be planning attacks towards the Eid -fitr celebration.
Items recovered from them include 12 improvised bombs, army uniforms, AK-47 riffles, sub-machine guns,10 electronic detonators, face masks and seven bags of urea.
"Most of the items recovered were going to be used to mount an attack on Sallah (Muslim holiday), according to our intelligence report," Eteng said.
"There was no casualty of any party during the operations. An investigation to find the terrorists continues," he said.
The security operatives also discovered another bomb-making factory at a village in Tundun Bayero by Gada Tamburawa in Dawakin Kudun local government area.
Briefing newsmen at the JTF Headquarters along Pompomari By- pass in Maiduguri, the Field Operations Commander, Colonel Victor Ebheleme, on Thursday thanked residents of the area for cooperating with the security agencies in providing information on the hideouts of the sect members.
Ebheleme said the information provided by some residents on the hideouts of some suspected members of the sect enabled the force JTF to swing into action.
He said JTF also arrested some members and after interrogation, the suspects revealed the house of their suspected sponsor, who is now at large.
During the JTF search of the house, four AK47 rifles, one set of GpMG, nine RPG Bombs and 11 chargers were said to have been recovered.
He added that other weapons recovered from the house included 1,032 rounds of ammunition, three AK47 Magazines and three wooden butts.
Also, the JTF Field Commander said two persons said to be involved in sending anonymous threats through text messages to individuals requesting for money were also arrested in Maiduguri.
The onslaught in the North by JTF appears to have weakened the group, which has killed and maimed many in the insurgency launched across the Northern region.
As Boko Haram comes under pressure in its Northeastern heartland, its attacks have spread further afield. Suspected Islamists opened fire on Christian worshippers in the central state of Kogi on Monday, killing 19.
Copyright © 2012 This Day. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
Headlines Newsview all
United States President Barack Obama will not be visiting Nigeria as recently speculated in the media. Obama and his wife Michelle will only visit Senegal, ...
NELSON Mandela’s daughters are suing him for the rights to his artworks and control of his millions, it has been reported. According to the Star on ... Full story
Carl Pistorius was acquitted of all charges, including culpable homicide and negligent driving, in the Vanderbijlpark Magistrates Court on Tuesday. Pistorius was involved in an accident ...
Controversial actress, Judith Afrocandy has announced through her Twitter timeline that before Uche Obodo made the nasty comment that she could act unclad irrespective of ... Full story
Orlando Pirates defender Siyabonga Sangweni has switched his focus to next season as he continues to battle with a knee injury that forced a premature ... Full story
Walmart Photo Center refuses to print photo of mother breastfeeding her baby because it 'violates store's nudity policy'
Walmart has come under fire for refusing to print a photo of mother breastfeeding her baby. As a gift for her first mother's day, Kayla Andre's ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- DJ Munya's murder case: Suspects demanded US$5,000, Munya's wife had confessed
- HIV positive Harare man arrested for raping 2 daughters and sodomising son
- Zimbabwe prophet, 34, gets 5-year jail term for stealing car from 60 year old Botswana woman
- Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport As Strike Begins
- President Barack Obama Skips Nigeria's Visit
- 42 suspected robbers arrested in Bantama swoop
- Secret police recruitment underway?
- Govt speaks on stampede at T.B. Joshua's Church
- Safety expert calls for heads to roll at ECG
- Education Minister warns heads of schools against illegal fees
- Kumasi shooting: Father of victim prays for killers to repent
- Consar Limited and Michelletti Company limited deny knowing Woyome
- Akyem Swedru MP assures his constituents equitable distribution of resources
- KPMG denies taking part in pink sheet audit
- DOVVSU to investigate forced marriage of 13-year-old girl
- Police identify four bodies in SCOAN stampede
- President reproves ECG over Achimota fire, suspects arson in recent fires
- ECG repairs burnt substation
- Immigration Service ordered to sack officials conniving with foreign ‘galamseyers’
- Korle Bu maternity block resumes work
- Oklahoma tornado 2013: 7 children found drowned in Plaza Towers Elementary school in Moore
- Enyimba on the path of glory
- BEWARE ….. Normal S*X can KILL! Please READ THIS
- Chelsea stop Mikel, Moses from Mexico match
- SHOCK: I caught my husband this morning with our MAID romping in BED
- Trainee accountant's Twitter boast about 'knocking cyclist off his bike' sparks police probe
- For MEN ONLY: Do you like what you see?????
- Teens sharing more on social media, moving to Twitter
- Ogidi building materials market, school shut in honour of Achebe
- Mark Carney warns Europe of lost decade in final speech as BoC chief
- Nigeria to free 'terror' women
- Eddie Braben dies: Morecambe and Wise scriptwriter dead at 82
- Oklahoma tornado 2013: Moore family of four die, including their baby
- If you missed that LUHYA guy in Nairobi talking about OBAMA snubbing Kenya (Watch VIDEO)
- Poor hedgehog inflates to TWICE its normal size after getting air trapped under skin while suffering from rare condition
- Musician’s top goes off while singing exposing 1 B00B (Watch VIDEO)
- Jonathan orders release of detained suspected terrorists
- George Michael 'was lucky he didn't die' says driver who nearly ran singer over on the M1
- PHOTO from WILLIAM RUTO’s meeting with players in the Trade Industry
- G4S boss Nick Buckles quits after overseeing Olympic security 'humiliating shambles'
- PHOTO of President UHURU KENYATTA mingling with Kenyans at KARATINA
- Final picture of Pistorius and the girlfriend he shot dead shows smiling Reeva days before her death and the pet monkey 'they both adored'
- 'If my son was a dog, I'd have him put down': Mother whose son suffers from ADHD says that unlike pet owners she has no choice but to put up with his violence
- Here are City Council of Nairobi BY LAWS that you MUST READ
- Canadian economy can’t keep relying on consumer borrowing: Mark Carney
- Fiat Industrial plans U.K. move to lower tax rate
- PHOTOs from WILLIAM RUTO’s meeting with JUDY’s entourage
- President Kenyatta receives TJRC report
- President Kenyatta receives TJRC report
- “Tobacco smoking leads to low sperm count, weak erection”
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
Two entire schools flattened in Moore, Oklahoma after 200 mph winds pulverized a 30-square-mile stretch yesterdayOfficials originally said there were as many as 91 people ...
Twitter user EmmaWay20 bragged about collision with cyclist in Norwich'I have right of way he doesn't even pay road tax!' the post addedToby Hockley, 29, ...
21 May 2013 Last updated at 18:03 GMT ...
Eddie Braben started off in the industry by selling the odd joke to comedians He later worked with Ken Dodd, Ronnie Corbett and Morecambe and ...
Family's death is one of many tragic stories to emerge from devastation of Oklahoma tornado24 have been confirmed dead, including seven children at Plaza Towers ...
Poor hedgehog inflates to TWICE its normal size after getting air trapped under skin while suffering from rare condition
Poorly hedgehog found swollen and unable to move by member of the publicVets spotted a trapped air pocket underneath its skin on X-rays 'Balloon syndrome' ...
Katherine Fox, 23, skidded to a halt as singer tumbled onto carriagewayStar's Adidas tracksuit was ripped and trainers and sunglasses torn offShe said: 'There was ...
Shares rise as chief executive resigns from £1.2million jobArmy was called in after G4S failed to recruit guards for London 2012Company due to provide security ...
Final picture of Pistorius and the girlfriend he shot dead shows smiling Reeva days before her death and the pet monkey 'they both adored'
Four days later, Reeva would be dead and Pistorius accused of her murderFriend Christo Menelaou said: 'He was tickling her. They were best friends'Says the ...
'If my son was a dog, I'd have him put down': Mother whose son suffers from ADHD says that unlike pet owners she has no choice but to put up with his violence
Jenny Young has 4 children and all suffer with the behavioural disorder Youngest son Ryan, 10, suffers with ADHD and severe learning disabilitiesThe full-time mother ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa