The BBC's Rana Jawad in Tripoli says the attacks coincide with the first day of Eid, leaving local people in shock
At least two people have been killed in a twin car bomb attack in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, security officials say.
One blast took place near the former military academy for women, while the other struck close to the interior ministry.
Emergency crews rushed to the scenes of the blasts, which were cordoned off.
It is the first deadly bomb attack since the toppling of Muammar Gaddafi last year.
The bombs struck at dawn close to the interior ministry's administrative offices and near the military academy on Omar al-Mokhtar Avenue.
The city's head of security, Col Mahmoud Sherif, said the blast outside the military academy left two people dead and four or five injured.
No casualties were reported from the other explosion, he said.
Mr Sherif blamed Gaddafi supporters for the attacks, who he alleged were receiving financial backing from contacts based in neighbouring countries.Challenge of violence
The attacks took place as crowds prepared for mass morning prayers to mark Eid al-Fitr, the Muslim celebration at the end of the fasting month Ramadan.
Earlier this month, Libya's interim National Transitional Council handed power to a newly elected assembly, in the first peaceful transition in the country's modern history.
But violence remains a challenge for the government, with several attacks taking place in the eastern city of Benghazi in recent months.
The BBC's Rana Jawad, in Tripoli, says that the government has often blamed these attacks on Gaddafi loyalists.
For many Libyans, she says, it is easier and more plausible to believe that loyalists of the former regime are behind them, but this is difficult to assess.
Security forces have also struggled to assert control over armed men who took part in last year's uprising and who refuse to lay down their weapons.
Headlines Newsview all
The World Bank has unveiled a $1bn (£660m) aid package to help the Democratic Republic of Congo and its neighbours, as fighting continues near the ... Full story
United States President Barack Obama will not be visiting Nigeria as recently speculated in the media. Obama and his wife Michelle will only visit Senegal, ...
NELSON Mandela’s daughters are suing him for the rights to his artworks and control of his millions, it has been reported. According to the Star on ... Full story
Controversial actress, Judith Afrocandy has announced through her Twitter timeline that before Uche Obodo made the nasty comment that she could act unclad irrespective of ... Full story
Orlando Pirates defender Siyabonga Sangweni has switched his focus to next season as he continues to battle with a knee injury that forced a premature ... Full story
Walmart Photo Center refuses to print photo of mother breastfeeding her baby because it 'violates store's nudity policy'
Walmart has come under fire for refusing to print a photo of mother breastfeeding her baby. As a gift for her first mother's day, Kayla Andre's ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- Mhofu, Friday 'Amayenge' Phiri fired
- 'DJ Munya hired hitmen'
- Zanu-PF perpetrated violence on cards, claims MDC-T
- Chris Brown in car crash
- Kingston Nkhatha to miss Nedbank final
- Vingirai in new effort to get Intermarket back
- We need to bury our dead and then bring Gukurahundi perpetrators to justice
- Monomotapa vs Highlanders update - Bosso running riot at Rufaro
- Congratulations Zimbabwe on new constitution
- GYEEDA investigations: Don’t rubbish committee’s ongoing work – Minister
- Unicom Chemist launches TENA healthcare products for bladder weakness
- Gov’t must scrap GYEEDA - IMANI
- Robbing the State: The case of GYEEDA
- Disorder in the Court - Things people actually said in court
- Update: Minor fire at GCB Tower quelled
- Sad: 13-year-old boy dies of electrocution
- Kumasi Central Market risks another fire outbreak
- DOVVSU to screen persons in 13-year-old forced marriage saga
- School feeding programme receives $1.6m support
- 2013 PANAFEST/ Emancipation day launched
- SCOAN delegation visits family of victims
- Politics and Prose: A tribute to Chinua Achebe
- Swedish couple to adopt conjoined twins
- KPMG cannot prove actual number of pink sheets filed or served -Lawyer
- Woyome appalled by conduct of judgement debt Sole Commission
- President Mahama leaves for 50th anniversary of AU tomorrow
- Sierra Leone: 'Sierra Leone Is Owned By All of Us'
- Camp Mulla’s MISS KARUN headed to LOS ANGELES……further studies
- ZSE shares hitting fresh highs as volumes remain depressed
- Robert Alai confirms where HUDDAH MONROE has VANISHED to …..
- Turnall sales and demand rebounds
- Jim Flaherty: No housing bubble but still concerned about CMHC
- Lafarge records static revenue performance
- How much ERIC OMONDI, JAGUAR, AVRIL, JALANG’O and the rest are PAID
- EU expenses: MEPs in Brussels earn up to 740% more than average citizen and enjoy free haircuts and gallons of petrol
- Michael Adebolajo: British-born suspect became 'obsessed with radical Islam as schoolboy'
- Michael Adebolajo: How Woolwich suspect 'became obsessed with Islam as a schoolboy'
- Bombers hit Niger barracks and mine
- Help for Heroes website flooded with wellwishers after Woolwich attack
- HABIDA lashes out at America’s Nicki Minaj
- Just a week until June and it's STILL snowing: But warmer weather may make welcome return over the bank holiday weekend with highs of 19C
- Mother's anger after officials only grant one of her disabled identical twin sons disability benefit
- SHAME: Counsellor DEFILES, IMPREGNATES and INFECTS 15 year old with STI in Kisumu
- Jet-sharing soars as economy picks up
- Psychotic bodybuilder who 'became obsessed with Batman's Joker' attacked innocent stranger with an axe
- The Angels of Woolwich: Three women's outstanding courage as they confront killers and pray for slaughtered soldier
- Scary PHOTOs of the World’s Most Dangerous Road
- Woolwich attack: Put extremists on first plane back to wherever they've come from, demands furious Tory MP Bob Stewart
- Police commander forced to defend response time to desperate Woolwich killing 999 calls as he claims armed officers were there in 14 minutes
- SHAME on our POLICE OFFICERS ……. LOOK at this PHOTO
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
His Excellency Dr Ernest Bai Koroma has said that Sierra Leone belongs every citizen. He made this statement during a courtesy call on him by ...
EU expenses: MEPs in Brussels earn up to 740% more than average citizen and enjoy free haircuts and gallons of petrol
MEP perks receive free haircuts and 52 gallons of petrol a month Their salaries cost £137million a month but do not include allowancesResearch finds French ...
By Richard Hartley-parkinson and Andy Dolan PUBLISHED: 08:40 GMT, 23 May 2013 | UPDATED: 15:54 GMT, 23 May 2013 Two men who allegedly slaughtered a soldier in a Woolwich street ...
Suspect identified as Michael Adebolajo, 28, who is a British citizen Schoolmates described a 'nice normal guy' who was radicalised at 15Man believed to be ...
23 May 2013 Last updated at 15:42 GMT ...
Website crashes under flood of donations and messages of supportSoldier had been wearing Help for Heroes top when he was killedHe was stabbed and nearly ...
Just a week until June and it's STILL snowing: But warmer weather may make welcome return over the bank holiday weekend with highs of 19C
Around 2cm of snow fell in Teesdale, County Durham and PenninesThis is despite forecasters predicting warm bank holiday weekend By Anthony Bond PUBLISHED: 11:15 GMT, 23 ...
Mother's anger after officials only grant one of her disabled identical twin sons disability benefit
Arthur and Alfie, both 10 months, share the exact same medical conditionsThey both need the same round-the-clock care including daily physiotherapy But only Arthur entitled ...
Psychotic bodybuilder who 'became obsessed with Batman's Joker' attacked innocent stranger with an axe
Dale Pipe, 20, asked 'Why so serious?' after stabbing victim 16 timesHad also posted on the internet praising the new violent Batman video gamePolice have ...
The Angels of Woolwich: Three women's outstanding courage as they confront killers and pray for slaughtered soldier
'Religious' woman in her 50s 'walked straight up to suspects with no fear'Sat next to victim in middle of the road and put her hands ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa