Alcanar explosion linked to Barcelona attack, police sayby Richard Bailey 17/08/2017 20:05:00 0 comments 1 Views
- Six other people were injured in the explosion in Alcanar, Catalonia, which is 120 miles south of Barcelona
- It could have been caused by butane gas canisters of which there were more than 20 kept at the property
- A second explosion took place as emergency service workers sifted through the wreckage at the site
- A police source said it is believed the residents in the house were preparing explosives using gas cylinders
- Spanish police confirmed explosion on Wednesday was linked to today's attack which killed at least 13
By Joe Sheppard and Tom Worden for MailOnline
Published: 17:15 EDT, 17 August 2017 | Updated: 20:05 EDT, 17 August 2017
The terror attack in Barcelona is linked an explosion that killed at least one person in a town 120 miles south of the city.
One person was killed and six were injured after a house, which contained more than 20 butane gas canisters, blew up in Alcanar, Catalonia at about 11.15pm on Wednesday night.
A second explosion took place after emergency services rushed to the scene, injuring six police officers and two firefighters as they sifted through rubble.
A police source said it is believed the residents in the house were preparing explosives using gas cylinders.
Scroll down for video
Wreckage at the scene of the explosion on Thursday shows dozens of gas canisters strewn across the site. Police said a second body could still be amongst the rubble
Police have said today's terror attack in Barcelona is linked to the explosion on Wednesday in which one person was killed. A second explosion injured emergency service workers as they sifted through the wreckage
Officers said it was possible a second person was dead among the ruins of the house.
A police source said: 'The explosion was very violent, and the investigators are still finding human remains.'
Neighbours said that two north African brothers had been renting the house.
At least 13 people were killed with more than 100 believed to be injured in the Barcelona attack which saw a van plough into pedestrians.
Two people have been arrested in the aftermath - one of them in Alcanar.
Police initially circulated an image of Driss Oukabir, a 28-year-old Catalan resident of Moroccan origin, saying he had rented out a second van thought to be intended as a getaway vehicle - where his documents were found. A man was arrested at the scene.
But police sources said Oukabir later handed himself in at a police station in Ripoll, 65 miles north of Barcelona, claiming his brother had stolen his documents.
His brother is named Moussa Oukabir, 18, and lives in Barcelona, according to El Pais.
Alcanar is popular with tourists and foreign nationals were among those injured, Spanish media reported.
French holidaymaker Elliane Fernandez was staying in the house next door and said: 'I was with some friends at the dinner table when we felt a powerful explosion which broke the windows and caused the lights to go out.
It is believed the explosion could have been caused by the butane gas canisters that were found at the property. Neighbours said that the house was rented by two north African brothers
'I called for my husband, who suffered a head injury. He was taken to hospital with a cousin, who was also injured.'
Ms Fernandez added that she did not know her neighbours.
One man had to be pulled from the wreckage before being taken to hospital. He was in a serious condition last night.
Two people with minor injuries have been discharged from hospital.
It is believed the explosion could have been caused by butane gas canisters that were kept at the property.
One British tourist, James, tweeted a picture of smoke rising into the air after one of the explosions.
He wrote: 'Felt the explosion while on a walk in Alcanar today. Praying everyone is okay.'
A resident in the town also posted a similar photograph alongside the caption: 'The walls have been rumbling after a new explosion at Alcanar.'
Neighbours reported that the house was occupied irregularly.
One British tourist tweeted a picture of smoke rising into the air after an explosion at the popular tourist hot spot
Foreign nationals were believed to be among those injured, Spanish media reported
Josep Lluis Trapero, the head of the regional police force the Mossos d' Esquadra, confirmed police believed the two incidents were linked.
He said of yesterday's explosion: 'We received an alert of an explosion where one person has died and others were injured.
'A part of the building collapsed. We are linking these two incidents.
'I cannot give further details as we are still working on the investigation.'