President Kibaki and Prime Minister Raila Odinga are locked in a tussle over a nominee to the crucial team that will spearhead land reforms in the country July 31, 2012. FILE
By ALPHONCE SHIUNDU email@example.com
Posted Tuesday, July 31 2012 at 17:07
Functions of the National Land Commission
(a) on behalf of, and with the consent of the national and county governments, alienate public land;
(b) monitor the registration of all rights and interests in land;
(c) ensure that public land and land under the management of designated state agencies are sustainably managed for their intended purpose and for future generations;
(d) develop and maintain an effective land information management system at national and county levels;
(e) manage and administer all unregistered trust land and unregistered community land on behalf of the county government; and
(f) develop and encourage alternative dispute resolution mechanisms in land dispute handling and management.
President Kibaki and Prime Minister Raila Odinga are locked in a tussle over a nominee to the crucial team that will spearhead land reforms in the country.
House Speaker Kenneth Marende said Tuesday that he’d received the names of nominees to the National Land Commission, through a letter dated July 4, 2012 from the Office of the President signed by Permanent Secretary Francis Kimemia, who is also the acting head of the public service.
The letter said the two principals had agreed on the nominees.
The agreed list contained Dr Muhammad Swazuri as the designated chairman of the commission. The nominees to sit as members of the National Land Commission were Dr Tomiik Konyimbih, Mr Silas Kinoti Muriithi, Dr Rose Musyoka, Dr Samuel Kipngetich Tororei, Ms Abigael Mbagaya, Ms Emma Muthoni, Mr Clement Lenachuru, and Mr Abdulkadir Adan Khalif
However, a few days later, Mr Kimemia wrote to Parliament seeking to have one of the nominees dropped from the list and a new one join the team.
Mr Kimemia wanted Mr Abdulkadir Adan Khalif dropped and his place taken up by a Mr Mohammed AW.
But the Office of the Prime Minister, in a letter dated July 13, “contested the replacement”, the Speaker said.
The Speaker thus ordered that the disagreement in the Executive will be sorted out by the House committee on Lands and Natural Resources, whose duty is to vet the nominees and present them to Parliament within 21 days after the committee first receives the names.
“I direct that the names of all the nominees, and the accompanying curriculum vitae and other documents relating to those nominees be forwarded to the committee… for consideration and report on or before August 14, 2012. In addition, the two letters (from the President and the Prime Minister) also be forwarded for the committee to consider them as they deem appropriate,” ruled Mr Marende.
The National Land Commission has the constitutional authority to manage public land on behalf of the national and county governments; and to recommend a national land policy to the national government. It also has the role of advising the national government on a comprehensive programme for the registration of title in land throughout Kenya.
It will also be the role of the commission to conduct research related to land and the use of natural resources, and make recommendations to appropriate authorities. Besides, it will initiate investigations, on its own initiative or on a complaint, into present or historical land injustices, and recommend appropriate redress.
The law also gives the commission powers to encourage the application of traditional dispute resolution mechanisms in land conflicts; to assess tax on land and premiums on immovable property in any area designated by law; and to monitor and have “oversight responsibilities” over land use planning throughout the country.
The House Committee on Lands and Natural Resources is chaired by Gachoka MP Mutava Musyimi.
The last time the President and the Prime Minister disagreed on what was a joint list to Parliament was the nominees to the National Police Service Commission. The matter is still pending in Parliament.
Headlines Newsview all
Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, who has been accused of living an opulent lifestyle that is inconsistent with his government salary, has invited corruption busters to ...
Popular radio announcer, Munyaradzi Mlimo showed no emotion as he was sent to remand prison together with his co-accused during an initial remand hearing at ...
The World Bank has unveiled a $1bn (£660m) aid package to help the Democratic Republic of Congo and its neighbours, as fighting continues near the ... Full story
Controversial actress, Judith Afrocandy has announced through her Twitter timeline that before Uche Obodo made the nasty comment that she could act unclad irrespective of ... Full story
Orlando Pirates defender Siyabonga Sangweni has switched his focus to next season as he continues to battle with a knee injury that forced a premature ... Full story
Walmart Photo Center refuses to print photo of mother breastfeeding her baby because it 'violates store's nudity policy'
Walmart has come under fire for refusing to print a photo of mother breastfeeding her baby. As a gift for her first mother's day, Kayla Andre's ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- Suspects In London Attack Are Both Nigerians
- SHOCK as 48-year-old African man claims to be JESUS CHRIST
- Husband catches wife CHEATING while the man tries to escape (VIDEO)
- SHOCKER as daughter marries her MOTHER’s HUSBAND
- Mayhem as man catches sister (12) KISSING TENANT
- Woman bites boyfriend’s P*N*S after he refused to have S*X with her
- Squeezing the most out of your bonds
- PHOTO: Who is doing this to MUSALIA MUDAVADI? Please STOP!!
- Zoo worker has died after being mauled by tiger in front of visitors as she fed it in animal enclosure
- PHOTO of UHURU KENYATTA from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Those rare PHOTOs of unusual HOUSES
- What is wrong with this PHOTO?
- A very rare PHOTO of retired President DANIEL MOI with his entire FAMILY in 1967
- Is this style or what? LOOK at this PHOTO?
- Sorry... we thought you were dead! Death notice blunder left expat's friends grieving for thirty years
- Seven-year-old killed by suicide jumper who plunged on top of her from tenth floor apartment in South Korea
- Proposal before OMERS would require employees to work longer to get full pension
- The 10 types of Kenyan HUSBANDS
- Court grants Atuche, wife time to file no-case application
- For Quebec, Enbridge's pipeline project a no-brainer
- SHOCK as one of the LADIES caught doing it with a DOG is chased out of HOTEL
- MTN project fame season 6 auditions begin
- 18,426 youths from S/South employed under SURE-P scheme – Labour Minister
- Tuface, PSquare,19 others headline Star trek 2013
- Is Chantelle really doing this to J Blessings’ CLIENTS……..SHAME SHAME
- JAMB takes step against exam malpractices
- NGF: Amaechi floors Jonathan
- Nigeria shines at Cannes 2013
- If you don’t have reason for waking up, sleeping becomes interesting – Linus Okorie
- REVEALED!! How MIKE SONKO and JAGUAR met ….Back in the days
- Chief Edwin Clark: Celebrating a Nigerian treasure at 86
- TEEN WORRIES: I'm a boy trapped in a girl's body but my parents won’t talk about it
- Deidre daily drama: Secret sex with son of my dad’s bride ...and I have a boyfriend
- Confirmed!! Classic 105’s LARRY ASEGO wedded SECRETELY on Saturday…….invited guests via SMS
- Large scale cultivation of wee in Northern Regional town causes stir
- Eastern Region: Possible havoc ruled out in Thursday’s earth tremor
- Ghana's spate of lawlessness sky rocketing – Tony Aidoo observes
- African elite have failed us; AU made irrelevant - author
- Police grant bail to five suspects in Ablekuma forced marriage scandal
- PFAG, SEND-Ghana receives $80,000 to improve extension services
- Even Christ didn’t perform miracles as T.B. Joshua – Sheikh Bamehyi
- MTN Ghana Foundation increases investment in ICT facilities
- Midwives shortage hits Ghana - report
- NMC announces new board for state owned media
- Turkey to ban late-night sale of alcohol
- Centre for Policy Research proposes decentralisation of GYEEDA
- Illegal gun manufacturers arrested in Ashanti Region
- Pension Authority to prosecute Employers if...
- Prez Mahama eulogises Chinua Achebe
- Tano North MP says bad roads in the constituency is affecting farming productivity
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
Zoo worker has died after being mauled by tiger in front of visitors as she fed it in animal enclosure
24 year-old woman was mauled at South Lakes Wild Animal Park in CumbriaShe suffered serious injuries to her face and neck in the attack at ...
Sorry... we thought you were dead! Death notice blunder left expat's friends grieving for thirty years
Christine Greenslade and her family moved away from Cornish hometownShe placed an obituary for her mother in Cornish newspaper in 1980The Cornishman printed Christine's name ...
Seven-year-old killed by suicide jumper who plunged on top of her from tenth floor apartment in South Korea
South Korean man jumping off building kills girl after landing on herSeven-year-old died after her neighbour's body hit her on the street By Daily Mail ...
I'M A boy trapped in a girl’s body but my parents won’t talk about it and think I should be happy being a girl. I’m 16 ...
MY DAD is getting married to his fiancée in two months’ time – and they’ve no idea I’ve been having sex with her son, especially ...
Monaco Grand Prix Name: Circuit de Monaco Number of Laps: 78 Track Length: 2.075 miles Race Distance: 161.9 miles Number of times held: 70 Winners from Pole: 26 Full Throttle: 45 per ...
GEORGE GROVES has begged Carl Froch not to deny him a crack at the world title. The Commonwealth super-middleweight champion, 25, takes on Noe Alcoba on ...
MARK CAVENDISH’S hopes of winning the Giro d’Italia points crown were given a huge boost on Friday — by snow. The sprint king was in danger ...
CARL FROCH will say a big thank you to Lennox Lewis if he manages to unify two super-middleweight titles tonight. Froch puts his IBF belt on ...
IAN POULTER admits he is struggling to recapture the form that provided the spark for Europe’s Ryder Cup triumph. And he is not alone as world ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa