Team Nigeria at 2012 London Olympics Games
London — As the curtain falls on London Olympics today, Team Nigeria is ending the country's participation with not even a bronze medal to show for the N2.2bn committed to taking part in the games.
The United States of America leads the medals' table with 43 gold, 29 silver and 29 bronze while China is second with 38 gold, 27 silver and 22 bronze. Host country, Great Britain that won less medals than Nigeria at the Atlanta 1996 Games is in a decent third position with 28 gold, 15 silver and 19 bronze.
Nigeria's 4x400m women relay team capped the dismal outing at the games last night with a disqualification that was meaningless as the seventh position they finished was clearly outside the podium.
Sinivie Boltic is the last Nigerian standing to fight for a medal in the 96kg of the wrestling event after all the other athletes brought here have all failed to get to the podium. Even Boltic's hope for a medal remains uncertain as he has a herculean task ahead against Nicolai Ceban of Moldova in the free-style wrestling event.
Meanwhile, Chika Chukwumerije's three-year preparation for the London Olympics went up in smoke in just a question of seconds, losing the +80kg taekwondo to world number-four-rated Cuban Robelis Despagne 1-0.
The Team Nigeria's captain had successfully held his ground in the first two rounds with no point from either of the fighters but with just seconds left of the third round, an innoucous kick from the Cuban efffectively ended Chukwumerije's ambition.
The entire Nigerian contigent that had placed all hopes of winning a medal on the Beijing 2008 bronze medallist went cold.
Even Chika's father, Uche Chukwumerije who is a serving Abia senator in the upper chamber of the National Assembly, was close to tears at the Excel Centre of the taekwondo event.
" If after three years of hard work of training this is all I can get, to God be the glory," said a dispirited Chukwumerije as he lamented what has just happened to his London Olympic adventure.
Without doubt, the junior Chukwumerije was gallant in defeat. The point that cost him progress to the next stage of winning a medal could have gone either way. Even the Cuban camp admitted the Team Nigerian fighter was no easy prey for their boy.
"The guy (Despagne) was not better than me technically.First fights are usually like this for me in a competition but it was just unfortunate that he got the point with just seconds to go," observed the mechanical engineering graduate.
All hopes of still salvaging something from the event failed as the Cuban failed to go beyond the next round. He lost 9-2 to Anthony Obame of Gabon.
The calculation was that if Despagne had won, Chukwumerije would still have had the opportunity of fighting for the bronze medal.
Meanwhile, Mali's wildcard taekwondo fighter, Daba Modibo Keita, remained in contention for the country's first Olympic Games medal after reaching the quarter-finals.
The 31-year-old, twice a world champion and who trains in the USA, relies on funding from the IOC Olympics Solidarity Scholarship.
He did not disappoint in his opening bout against Akmal Irgashev of Uzbekistan.
After trailing 1-0 from the first round, Keita - who has struggled with a knee injury since reaching the quarter-finals of the Beijing 2008 Olympics - hit back to lead 4-1 and then landed head kicks in the third to complete a 13-4 win over the seventh seed, who had won silver at last year's World Championships.
Keita, though, faces a stern test in the last eight against Canada's number two seed Francois Coulombe-Fortier.
"I feel well, but that was just the first fight and the first match of the morning is always difficult. Now I know what to do from the next rounds on and hopefully I'll get through to the end of the tournament," he said.
"I got injured in my knee and I'm trying to get back to the top level."
Copyright © 2012 This Day. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
Headlines Newsview all
The World Bank has unveiled a $1bn (£660m) aid package to help the Democratic Republic of Congo and its neighbours, as fighting continues near the ... Full story
United States President Barack Obama will not be visiting Nigeria as recently speculated in the media. Obama and his wife Michelle will only visit Senegal, ...
NELSON Mandela’s daughters are suing him for the rights to his artworks and control of his millions, it has been reported. According to the Star on ... Full story
Controversial actress, Judith Afrocandy has announced through her Twitter timeline that before Uche Obodo made the nasty comment that she could act unclad irrespective of ... Full story
Orlando Pirates defender Siyabonga Sangweni has switched his focus to next season as he continues to battle with a knee injury that forced a premature ... Full story
Walmart Photo Center refuses to print photo of mother breastfeeding her baby because it 'violates store's nudity policy'
Walmart has come under fire for refusing to print a photo of mother breastfeeding her baby. As a gift for her first mother's day, Kayla Andre's ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- Mhofu, Friday 'Amayenge' Phiri fired
- 'DJ Munya hired hitmen'
- Zanu-PF perpetrated violence on cards, claims MDC-T
- Chris Brown in car crash
- Kingston Nkhatha to miss Nedbank final
- Vingirai in new effort to get Intermarket back
- We need to bury our dead and then bring Gukurahundi perpetrators to justice
- Monomotapa vs Highlanders update - Bosso running riot at Rufaro
- Congratulations Zimbabwe on new constitution
- GYEEDA investigations: Don’t rubbish committee’s ongoing work – Minister
- Unicom Chemist launches TENA healthcare products for bladder weakness
- Gov’t must scrap GYEEDA - IMANI
- Robbing the State: The case of GYEEDA
- Disorder in the Court - Things people actually said in court
- Update: Minor fire at GCB Tower quelled
- Sad: 13-year-old boy dies of electrocution
- Kumasi Central Market risks another fire outbreak
- DOVVSU to screen persons in 13-year-old forced marriage saga
- School feeding programme receives $1.6m support
- 2013 PANAFEST/ Emancipation day launched
- SCOAN delegation visits family of victims
- Politics and Prose: A tribute to Chinua Achebe
- Swedish couple to adopt conjoined twins
- KPMG cannot prove actual number of pink sheets filed or served -Lawyer
- Woyome appalled by conduct of judgement debt Sole Commission
- President Mahama leaves for 50th anniversary of AU tomorrow
- Sierra Leone: 'Sierra Leone Is Owned By All of Us'
- Camp Mulla’s MISS KARUN headed to LOS ANGELES……further studies
- ZSE shares hitting fresh highs as volumes remain depressed
- Robert Alai confirms where HUDDAH MONROE has VANISHED to …..
- Turnall sales and demand rebounds
- Jim Flaherty: No housing bubble but still concerned about CMHC
- Lafarge records static revenue performance
- How much ERIC OMONDI, JAGUAR, AVRIL, JALANG’O and the rest are PAID
- EU expenses: MEPs in Brussels earn up to 740% more than average citizen and enjoy free haircuts and gallons of petrol
- Michael Adebolajo: British-born suspect became 'obsessed with radical Islam as schoolboy'
- Michael Adebolajo: How Woolwich suspect 'became obsessed with Islam as a schoolboy'
- Bombers hit Niger barracks and mine
- Help for Heroes website flooded with wellwishers after Woolwich attack
- HABIDA lashes out at America’s Nicki Minaj
- Just a week until June and it's STILL snowing: But warmer weather may make welcome return over the bank holiday weekend with highs of 19C
- Mother's anger after officials only grant one of her disabled identical twin sons disability benefit
- SHAME: Counsellor DEFILES, IMPREGNATES and INFECTS 15 year old with STI in Kisumu
- Jet-sharing soars as economy picks up
- Psychotic bodybuilder who 'became obsessed with Batman's Joker' attacked innocent stranger with an axe
- The Angels of Woolwich: Three women's outstanding courage as they confront killers and pray for slaughtered soldier
- Scary PHOTOs of the World’s Most Dangerous Road
- Woolwich attack: Put extremists on first plane back to wherever they've come from, demands furious Tory MP Bob Stewart
- Police commander forced to defend response time to desperate Woolwich killing 999 calls as he claims armed officers were there in 14 minutes
- SHAME on our POLICE OFFICERS ……. LOOK at this PHOTO
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
His Excellency Dr Ernest Bai Koroma has said that Sierra Leone belongs every citizen. He made this statement during a courtesy call on him by ...
EU expenses: MEPs in Brussels earn up to 740% more than average citizen and enjoy free haircuts and gallons of petrol
MEP perks receive free haircuts and 52 gallons of petrol a month Their salaries cost £137million a month but do not include allowancesResearch finds French ...
By Richard Hartley-parkinson and Andy Dolan PUBLISHED: 08:40 GMT, 23 May 2013 | UPDATED: 15:54 GMT, 23 May 2013 Two men who allegedly slaughtered a soldier in a Woolwich street ...
Suspect identified as Michael Adebolajo, 28, who is a British citizen Schoolmates described a 'nice normal guy' who was radicalised at 15Man believed to be ...
23 May 2013 Last updated at 15:42 GMT ...
Website crashes under flood of donations and messages of supportSoldier had been wearing Help for Heroes top when he was killedHe was stabbed and nearly ...
Just a week until June and it's STILL snowing: But warmer weather may make welcome return over the bank holiday weekend with highs of 19C
Around 2cm of snow fell in Teesdale, County Durham and PenninesThis is despite forecasters predicting warm bank holiday weekend By Anthony Bond PUBLISHED: 11:15 GMT, 23 ...
Mother's anger after officials only grant one of her disabled identical twin sons disability benefit
Arthur and Alfie, both 10 months, share the exact same medical conditionsThey both need the same round-the-clock care including daily physiotherapy But only Arthur entitled ...
Psychotic bodybuilder who 'became obsessed with Batman's Joker' attacked innocent stranger with an axe
Dale Pipe, 20, asked 'Why so serious?' after stabbing victim 16 timesHad also posted on the internet praising the new violent Batman video gamePolice have ...
The Angels of Woolwich: Three women's outstanding courage as they confront killers and pray for slaughtered soldier
'Religious' woman in her 50s 'walked straight up to suspects with no fear'Sat next to victim in middle of the road and put her hands ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa