After writing his own piece of history at the just ended 2012 London Olympics, Zimbabwean marathon runner Cuthbert Nyasango relishes another dance with the Games in 2016.
With all the nation's medal hopes pinned down on swimmer Kirsty Coventry, Nyasango nearly brewed a shocker by crossing the finishing line on a respectable 7th position to record the best ever marathon finish by a Zimbabwean at the quadrennial global sporting fiesta.
The 42 km race had 105 men, including more fancied athletes competing.
Beating Tendai Chimusasa's 9th spot finish at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, Nyasango ran home in a time of 2:12:08 hours, which was four minutes behind eventual winner Steven Kiprotich of Uganda.
The runner, who turns 30 next month, feels he still has unfinished business at the Games whose next edition is in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where he is already aiming for at least a bronze medal.
"I will be 34 years-old in 2016 and that is still a good age in marathon running. From what I experienced in London, at least a bronze medal is realistic next time," said Nyasango.
"I think I will do better in Rio because I learnt some vital lessons in London. When Steven Kiprotich went about two minutes ahead of me towards the end of the race I realised it was now too late to catch up with him."
In the run up to the games, Nyasango was training with 31-year-old compatriot Wirimai Juwawo who finished in 15th place.
Their training locations were in Norton, Chishawasha Hills and Mazowe.
Drawing from his London campaign, Nyasango, who is not attached to any athletics club, has joined the growing chorus of lobbying for government and corporate support in sport.
"It is not fair to expect medals from athletes when there is no investment in sport. This is the right time to start investing in preparation for the next Olympics.
"People just watch those two hours of racing and forget to take into account the material and financial resources invested on individuals for that competition. One needs at least US$3 000 and about three months to prepare for one marathon.
"There should be a vehicle following you when you are training, and as well as a physiotherapist and a fully-equipped medical kit."
Sharon Tavengwa, another Zimbabwean runner at the Olympics, did not finish the women's marathon race.
In rowing, Micheen Thornycroft became Africa's top women's single scull rower despite her Olympics campaign ending in the semi-finals.
Now rated 14th in the world, the 25-year-old said she emerged from the games stronger and would be vying for gold if she qualifies for the games' next edition.
"I am happy with the way I performed in London though I did not expect to get a medal but next time I will be aiming for gold," said Thornycroft.
Another rower, Jamie-Fraser Mackenzie, fell by the wayside as early as the heats in the men's single sculls. Despite having competed at the Beijing Olympics four years ago, triathlon Chris Felgate, finished on a disappointing position 52nd ahead of just two others.
As the USA is busy counting their medial haul and reeling from the hangover of a beautiful London 2012 outing, Zimbabwe begins a soul searching journey to correct mishaps that have denied the country medals in major competitions.
Copyright © 2012 Zimbabwe Standard. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.
Headlines Newsview all
Police in South Africa has confirmed on Thursday that over 20 boys have died over the past week during circumcision rituals blaming botched circumcisions as ... Full story
A 40-year old Gokwe woman recently gave birth to her 15th child, and said she would continue giving birth until she outdoes the senior wife ... Full story
The United Nations Assistance Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) strongly condemned the bombing that took place today near a hospital in the city of Benghazi and ...
Azim Aghajani, Iranian man and Nigerian counterpart Ali Jega get 17 years imprisonment for Arms ImportA Federal High Court in Lagos yesterday sentenced Iranian man Azim Aghajani and his Nigerian counterpart Ali Jega to 17 years imprisonment each for unlawful importation of firearms into Nigeria. The accused were convicted in a five-count charge of importation of 13 by 20 feet container loaded with firearms and explosives, and concealing the content of same. Justice Okechukwu Okeke, in his...
Controversial actress, Judith Afrocandy has announced through her Twitter timeline that before Uche Obodo made the nasty comment that she could act unclad irrespective of ... Full story
Orlando Pirates defender Siyabonga Sangweni has switched his focus to next season as he continues to battle with a knee injury that forced a premature ... Full story
Walmart Photo Center refuses to print photo of mother breastfeeding her baby because it 'violates store's nudity policy'
Walmart has come under fire for refusing to print a photo of mother breastfeeding her baby. As a gift for her first mother's day, Kayla Andre's ... Full story
Today's Latest News
- Two prospective parents vie for Cape Coast conjoined twins
- Mother of conjoined twins musters courage to see her children
- Chiefs cannot be excluded from Ghana's democracy - Otumfuo
- ISODEC calls for quality education for persons with disability
- Kumasi killing: Two men, a woman arrested
- Asantehene condemns serial callers, communicators and propagandists
- School dropout rate high in Daffiama-Bussie-Issa District
- Accra is ready for floods - AMA Boss
- Ministry of Chieftaincy takes steps to solve problems
- Yellow fever vaccination booster not needed – WHO
- Rockefeller Foundation invests $100 million in Digital Jobs Africa
- Nigeria’s daily EFT value in the billions
- City of Joburg Broadband Project to go live in July
- Huawei launches Windows 8 phone in Ghana
- Nigeria army says crackdown to go on
- Suspects are 'left dangling' on bail for too long, says top police chief as he calls for a six month limit
- Clegg officials ordered to hand over key emails following pressure over his role in obtaining funding for charity linked to his wife Miriam
- Astronaut's cover of Space Oddity recorded 220 miles above Earth praised by David Bowie as 'so beautiful'
- The winner takes it all: Abba's Gold beats The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band to be Britain's second biggest selling album ever
- Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans under renewed pressure as 'THIRD alleged victim claims he was sexually assaulted by Tory MP'
- Cannes 2013: Doutzen Kroes proves she is beautiful from all angles as she dazzles in backless dress
- Sex-claim Rolf goes back on stage in Bristol after sex claims
- British father, 53, has prostate removed after being told he carried defective gene that boosts his chance of cancer
- Outgoing bank boss Sir Mervyn King slams 'unsatisfactory economic growth' as he criticises Osborne's plan to boost housing market
- Beckham family bid farewell to football: David joins sons on pitch to say tearful goodbye to beautiful game as Posh and Harper watch
- Security firm faces fines for 'embarrassing' court delays: Judge blasts company after court made to wait while guards take their lunch break
- Non-Brits get tax help to buy home
- Glam Kate Winslet turns heads in posh foxy little number
- Only TWENTY Tory backbenchers are loyal to David Cameron
- British Soap Awards: Shock as EastEnders wins only ONE award as northern rival Coronation street take home eight
- Conservatives revolt against Cameron
- Robbie WIlliam’s bright night out
- melanie sykes wedding dorset castle
- Eurovision 2013: Denmark wins as Bonnie Tyler comes 19th place
- Rita Ora’s on offense: She writes tracks to slam ex Rob Kardashian
- danniella westbrook autobiography benefits
- Even driver bullied our son on the school bus
- John Bercow takes pay rise to £142,000
- Oritse’s secret dates with X Factor ex-lover Ruth Lorenzo
- LOOMING FUEL SCARCITY: Transport operators plead with tanker drivers
- Jess the best day ever... part two: Golden girl Jessica Ennis dazzles in her dream dress as she marries her childhood sweetheart Andy Hill
- Power supply: Senate summons Ministers, PHCN management, others
- Cole red hot in huge dress on Cannes carpet
- Amid 24-hr Curfew In Borno: Surrender and embrace amnesty now, Jonathan warns
- Helen Mirren makes dying boy’s wish to meet the Queen come true
- channel 4 skint fixed
- Man kills mother, dries and stores her remains for 10 years
- Some Nigerians richer than the nation – Bishop Onuoha
- Consumer champion: Stop taking us for fuels
- Coincidence Don’t Exist
Rate this article
MOST POPULAR ON AFRICANSEER
19 May 2013 Last updated at 03:57 GMT ...
Suspects are 'left dangling' on bail for too long, says top police chief as he calls for a six month limit
Chief Constable Andy Trotter has joined calls to limit police bailThere is currently no limit on how long suspects can be kept on bail ...
Clegg officials ordered to hand over key emails following pressure over his role in obtaining funding for charity linked to his wife Miriam
Booktrust received £12 million after lobbying from one of Clegg's aidesMPs have demanded an inquiry into how the payment was secured By Glen Owen PUBLISHED: 23:51 GMT, ...
Astronaut's cover of Space Oddity recorded 220 miles above Earth praised by David Bowie as 'so beautiful'
Singing astronaut Chris Hadfield became a YouTube sensation'Possibly the most poignant version of the song ever created,' Bowie said Hadfield made millions of fans through ...
The winner takes it all: Abba's Gold beats The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band to be Britain's second biggest selling album ever
Queen's 1981 Greatest Hits album remains the country's most popular album By Olivia Williams PUBLISHED: 01:05 GMT, 19 May 2013 | UPDATED: 02:01 GMT, 19 May 2013 Abba's greatest hits ...
Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans under renewed pressure as 'THIRD alleged victim claims he was sexually assaulted by Tory MP'
MP was arrested on May 6 over sexual assault allegations made by two menMr Evans vehemently denied the claims after being released on bail The ...
He played to crowds at Bristol Hippodrome in first performance since arrestTold audience: 'You have no idea what this means to have you all turn ...
British father, 53, has prostate removed after being told he carried defective gene that boosts his chance of cancer
Businessman had an increased risk of cancer through the BRCA2 gene He entered a trial at the Institute of Cancer Research as it ran in ...
Outgoing bank boss Sir Mervyn King slams 'unsatisfactory economic growth' as he criticises Osborne's plan to boost housing market
He said there is 'no place in the long run' for the Help to Buy scheme By Anthony Bond PUBLISHED: 00:27 GMT, 19 May 2013 | UPDATED: 01:10 ...
Beckham family bid farewell to football: David joins sons on pitch to say tearful goodbye to beautiful game as Posh and Harper watch
Star weeps as he leaves the pitch in final ever game as a footballerCaptained Paris St Germain for match against BrestWife Victoria and their four ...
- Rulers of Africa
- Adoption In Africa
- Hotels In Africa
- List of hospitals in Africa
- List of schools in South Africa
- Top 10 Destinations in Africa
- Universities In Africa
- Countries in Africa
- Rulers of Africa