Eight-year-old boy stabs three students at elementary schoolby Richard Bailey 17/04/2018 12:07:00 0 comments 1 Views
- The boy attacked students aged eight, nine, and 13 at the Sauk Rapids school
- After the 7.15am attack he went into the office on his own, laid down the knife
- Two victims were sent to hospital with 'superficial wounds' at back of their heads
- Police said no one was seriously injured, victims were likely chosen at random
By Anneta Konstantinides For Dailymail.com
Published: 11:57 EDT, 17 April 2018 | Updated: 12:07 EDT, 17 April 2018
An eight-year-old Minnesota boy will not be allowed to return to his elementary school after attacking three students with a kitchen knife.
The boy took the knife from home and hid it in his backpack before stabbing three students - aged eight, nine, and 13 - at Pleasantview Elementary in Sauk Rapids.
He struck his peers around 7.15am on Monday morning before going to the school office on his own and laying down the knife.
The incident lasted around five minutes before it was stopped by 'adult intervention', according to Interim Superintendent Bruce Watkins.
An eight-year-old Minnesota boy will not be allowed to return to Pleasantview Elementary School after attacking three students aged eight, nine, and 13 with a kitchen knife
Two of the students had 'superficial wounds to the back of their heads' and were sent to the hospital to receive stitches after the attack on Monday.
The other student was treated by the school nurse and released to their parents.
Authorities said none of the three students were seriously injured and all are now recovering at home.
The student chose his victims 'randomly', Sauk Rapids Police Chief Perry Beise told KARE 11.
'I don't think he thought it was a joke,' Beise said. 'I don't think he had an intended target when he came to school with a knife.'
'We're not sure exactly why he came to school with a knife.'
It remains unknown if the boy had been bullied or had mental health issues.
The second grader was taken into custody and released to his parents due to his age.
Two of the students had 'superficial wounds to the back of their heads' and were sent to the hospital to receive stitches after the attack on Monday
Beise explained police 'don't charge children this young with crimes' and that they forwarded the report to the Benton County Attorney's Office for possible charges.
'You try to get them treatment and help them be successful,' he told The Bellingham Herald.
'It's also possible that human services will become involved in some way.'
The boy will not be allowed to return to the school.
The student chose his victims 'randomly', according to Sauk Rapids Police Chief Perry Beise
Classes went on as scheduled because the attack happened before school began.
The 13-year-old victim was waiting for a transfer bus to the middle school when they were attacked.
Watkins informed parents of the incident, calling it 'unfortunate'.
'We are working with school support staff to identify and provide support to staff and students that may have been impacted by this incident,' he wrote in a letter.
'Mental health professionals are available on site at Pleasantview Elementary.'
'Please know in situations like this the District’s discipline policy is applied and aggressive students are not allowed in the building(s).'